Option to add /usr/local/playdate/gcc…/bin to $PATH

I'm on macOS, not sure if this also applies to the other platforms.

Any chance it might be possible to not automatically link all of the tools in /usr/local/playdate/gcc-arm-none-eabi-9-2019-q4-major/bin to /usr/local/bin?

It would be nice to have the option to add /usr/local/playdate/gcc-arm-none-eabi-9-2019-q4-major/bin to the user $PATH.

I removed all of the linked files in /user/local/bin and set a shell var $PLAYDATE to /usr/local/playdate/gcc-arm-none-eabi-9-2019-q4-major/ and then added $PLATDATE/bin to my path and everything seems to work just fine.

I know I'm being fussy, but I try to keep a clean /usr/local/bin folder. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I agree, that's kind of messy. I filed a recommendation to put a setup script in ~/.Playdate that adds the gcc-arm path to $PATH (like ESP-IDF does, if you've ever used that) so that you have the option of either calling it manually or invoking it from the default shell startup.

1 Like

I'm loving the SDK and the Simulator, Panic has done an amazing job!!

Just like @bryanrieger, I also like to keep my /usr/local clean, and it would be nice to not require developers to have administrator privileges to install the SDK:

I'm guessing that the admin privileges are required because the installer is placing files under /usr/local.

Could there be an alternative install configuration that would not install anything in places that need admin privileges?

For example, brew has an optional installation that allows you to install it in an alternative location (instead of the default /usr/local), which allows you to install it without having administrative privileges: