Oquonie | Devlog

Hi :slight_smile:
My partner and I released this game for iOS nearly 10 years ago, we've decided that for the anniversary we'd like to make a rewrite that works on the Playdate! The whole game is playable at this point, we're still working on the finishing up the remaining animations, music and transitions(see video for lack of transitions between scenes).

It's coming along nicely, we're super excited to be able to play it on the Playdate :slight_smile: I'll try and update the thread as we make progress!

17 Likes

I played a lot of this game back then! The art is so cool! I'm not sure if I finished it, but I will be glad to start over with incomplete memories and tackle it on a new platform.

It looks so good and I bet it looks even better on the actual screen!

Any chances seeing Orca on Playdate? I remember seeing pictures of it back in a day.

The game originally made use of a color fade to transition between worlds, but that won't work on the playdate so we made this super fancy ditherpunk gradient which looks fancy as heck!

The design is a bit better now, hopefully more fun to go through, especially the end part. :slight_smile:

Ah yes! I've totally forgotten to make a build of it. I'm stuck a the audio stuff, running orca is not the problem, I've been struggling to pick the right set of built-in samples that will be fun to use on the playdate haha.

4 Likes

For the samples I'd suggest something that would sound good on the device's speaker, something chiptune-ish?

I use only SDK synth API for my games' sounds. Maybe there is a way to integrate that to Orca?

1 Like

Looks great!

How did you do the tile creation and player movement?

I use only SDK synth API for my games' sounds. Maybe there is a way to integrate that to Orca?

I think that's what I'll have to do too :slight_smile:

How did you do the tile creation and player movement?

This is all written in assembly, but each room is created when the player change location, and the events in the room are drawn on top. The game rom is about 600kb, and there's only 64kb of addressable memory so I had to be extra fancy with loading assets ^^

5 Likes

I’m really looking forward to this—I’m definitely “sure I want to continue this old conversation”!

I've been sailing all summer, but one of the first order of business this fall is to get it down and out! A friend of ours has been hard at work improving the playdate support for uxn to make sure that Oquonie runs as nicely as it can. In about 3 weeks, we'll be back to full time oquonie-playdate release!

https://git.sr.ht/~rabbits/uxn-playdate

7 Likes

Awesome! I've been noticing a few recent progress updates on Mastodon too!