Orkn's Pulp Prototypes

Something silly I needed to get out of my head as I could see how simple some of the mechanics would be to implement just with the default pulp collect behaviour...

Carrie Cargo: Parody Walking Action

What if Death Stranding was on the Playdate... and British?! Collect cargo, earn claps, and reconnect Britain to the DATA CANAL NETWORK.

carrie_cargo_delivery

Collect more cargo for a multiplier! Crank to balance!

carrie_cargo_londoners

Watch out for LONDONERS and reconnect Britain!

carrie_cargo_yodellers

These YODELLERS will chase you for your cargo!

carrie_cargo_bikers

Don't get run over by these BIKERS!

carrie_cargo_intro_1

As expected there is a thrilling plot...

carrie_cargo_intro_2

...full of shocking twists!

It's very unpolished (default font and there's no sound whatsoever!) but if you'd like to give it a play, here's a pdx!

Carrie-Cargo_-Parody-Walking-Action.pdx.zip (38.2 KB)

3 Likes

Just announced and released during the community direct, Goodnight Universe is a micro audio game to fall asleep with about the heat death of the universe.

I've had this idea in my head since before the Playdate, but the lack of front or backlight on the console really makes it make sense as it can be played in the dark with no screen light causing a disturbance.

I was also inspired by Pulp's noise channel to add an extra feature where the game's title screen continually generates low volume noise, meaning it can double up as a passive sleep aid. It was fun to work out how to poke the pulp music editor in the right way to do that!

The game's trailer was created in Pulp and can be watched in-game by entering the Konami code on the title screen. I really can't resist including cheat codes in my games!

This is definitely on the more experimental and conceptual end of the scale but I think Playdate really encourages that kind of thing.

Goodnight Universe is free or pay what you want on Itch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Runaround Reaper was my entry for PlayJam 4 - my first ever game jam! I finished mid table which I was happy with, especially considering "use of console" was one of the three categories in which my game came deservedly second last (not using any unique features of the Playdate at all really).

Mainly though it was an excuse to have a go at refining some chaser enemy behaviour in Pulp. It's probably too intensive to do any actual pathing in Pulpscript, but what I ended up with was an enemy that can chase the player (or move towards another target) and navigate around rectangular obstacles. As long as there are no inside corners to get trapped in, it works :smile:

I wasn't planning on participating as I didn't think I'd have the time, but it was fun to take part in a jam, even if it was on my own and without the full weekend to build out an idea over. I'd definitely like to properly dedicate a weekend to a jam with a team if I get the chance in the future!

It's been a while since I posted anything here, but I've been playing with lots of ideas! Here are some of them:

Tourist

A pathfinding puzzle game. Visit every unvisted tile without going back on yourself.

tourist_teaser

This started as me wanting to make a game that uses only black and white tiles, which is an effective resolution of 25x15. This kind of simple puzzle might be familiar as it appears in games like Zelda and Pokemon, and it can often be found as a standalone game using a "lawn mowing" premise.

The dpad is used to solve the puzzles, while the B button is used to reset the current puzzle. The puzzles are arranged vertically so that the crank can be used to scroll through them. I also aimed for consistency in having the puzzles start in the bottom-left, so the player knows (roughly) where to look to begin. All of this was to solve for not wanting any other tiles, including text.

At first I just tried making abstract puzzles. They were kind of fun, but lacked charm. Switching up to picross-style images-as-puzzles felt a lot better! The releasable game I'm aiming for has several sets of puzzles, each around a theme and with their own linear progression. The clip above shows the start of a Resonant Tale set!

Splitting the game into sets does mean I now have a horizontally scrolling menu which does use text and tiles other than black/white in appearance, but I think that's a fair concession to making a more polished experience.

Little Hungers

An uneasy walk through the woods.

little_hungers_bowels

The forest at night is a dangerous place for a mouse.

little_hungers_perspective

I've only made a few screens, but I envision Little Hungers as a micro adventure game or walking sim. It's horror-adjacent, but more about general vibes of unease than actual frights or peril. I want every screen to be unique and visually appealing with differing perspectives yet minimalistic in use of tiles.

little_hungers_scrolling_forest

This is the last room I created, faking a scrolling forest that is larger than the screen. It's all fakery, the trees arranged to make a nice repeating pattern and with the player actually looping around the centre of the room, with the player's "coordinates" tracked in code (shown here for debugging) and the animals drawn in based on those coordinates. I think it's pretty effective!

Bunk-A-Bust

A vertical orientation crank controlled bomb survival game.

bunk-a-bust-teaser

Back when I was playing Little Big Planet on PS3, "bomb survival" levels were all the rage. I'm not sure where the specific genre originated, but in LBP they were quick and easy to make and fun to play, so there were loads of them. I thought a crank controlled Pulp-made variation would be a fun project, but I lost motivation given real-world events. It's parked for now, but I would like to revist it as the core gameplay is fun!

Pulp Fishing Prototype

A proof of concept for top-down fishing with the crank!

pulp_fishing_prototype

Probably the most complex code-wise of all of the above, this proof of concept is fully playable. It's hard to tell without UI elements and actual visuals, but there are multiple stages to fishing. You can move around to find a spot, then get locked in place when you cast your line. Casting involves you selecting distance and direction which are based on rod stats. You then have to wait for a bite and press A quickly enough to hook the fish, then reel it in with the crank while it fights against you - there's line strength in there too, just without any indication yet! Similarly unclear is that the fish you hook have their own stats (like exhaustion) and each water tile has its own set of fish that are catchable, with odds that can vary by tile and can be modified by your choice of lure.

That's all I'd like to share for now... but I've also been thinking about possible sequel ideas for Resonant Tale, as well as wanting to revisit some of my earlier pulp prototypes! I should definitely pick something to stick with through to completion but... that's always the hard part!

I'd love to hear what (if any) of the above people think is most exciting :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing these, it's nice to have a few projects going on to keep the ideas flowing!

I actually really like the look/idea of Little Hungers, partly as I think the basicness of pulp tiles can encourage more imagination on the part of the player, hooking into that sense of unease. I also like that you've got different perspectives in there, and maybe there's scope to play with expectations in the style of something like Superliminal :upside_down_face:

Maybe you could even get the portrait mode view in there too, to really disorient players? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just read through this whole thread - amazing work. Grabbed Resonant Tale to play through with the kids. They were enthralled by my 7DRL entry from this year, think this is truly gonna blow their minds.

1 Like

Thank you so much, hope your kids enjoy it!