Playdate SDK 1.13.4, 5 and 6 - Mac Mini M1 (Sound doesn't play and OS seems to be slower at loading certain things.)

Is anything logged to the Playdate Console at launch?

The Console Command box says nothing.
I also have nothing plugged in so its not the physical Playdate hardware interfering.

2023-05-04 13-24-19.mp4.zip (1.2 MB)
Here is a video showcasing the problems.
The sounds you hear are from a App Store application called SonorOS and I replaced a lot of sounds with MacOS 9 Platinum sounds. It serves as an indicator of what I am doing.

Interestingly, as soon as I launched 1.13.4 THEN launched 1.13.6. It stopped playing sound!
I have a feeling its due to the multiple versions people have installed thats causing the problem.

There was one small audio related change in 1.13.4, most likely it's triggering some-sort of bug in the OS.

Okay I even deleted the older versions and it still has the issue.

Update: I am currently trying to fix the issue by downgrading to a different version and going back to 1.13.6.

Seems like installing 1.13.3 on its own fixes the issue.
But then installing 1.13.6 causes the issues.

I also have no sound on the simulator with SDK 1.13.7.

I confirm the last simulator that had working sound was 1.13.3.

I'm using a Mac M1 on Monterey.

We still haven't had luck reproducing this (even on an M1 mini), but we have the issue filed and will be looking into it further. Thanks for all of the additional information!

1 Like

Could it be related to this Bluetooth sound quality drops when running playdate simulator on macos

Folks without sound, what macOS version are you running on? We believe we have a lead on what is causing the issue but want to confirm.

I'm using macOS 12.6.5

MacOS - 13.3.1 (a)

Unsure if the recent security patch has anything to do with it.

I'm on Mac OS Monterey (12.6.4) Mac Pro (Late 2013)

The problem disappeared. Also simulator now works much faster, no lags.

I'm not sure what did it. But I did install new Nova 11 (before it was 10.6). Can that be it?

This should be resolved in the 2.0 SDK. Please let us know if it's not.