Playnoise Tracker

Well, for second point... See how e.g. klystrack displays patterns.

1. Flizzer tracker has tiny interface too which did not stop some people, looks like somebody is actually using it! So-so...

Regarding the built-in synth: it's just too limited. If I hear the triangle wave correctly it is also bitcrushed to some point which annoys me, the SID enjoyer. Also no filters, ringmod or hardsync. No 4-op FM with different operators' waveforms. No pitchable samples with optional at least linear interpolation.

What is actually stopping me is the lack of console and, more importantly, the lack of hardware control. I don't like high-level stuff in this area because every CPU cycle matters and using some "standard" functions does not let you be as flexible as I want. After all, why I have read the chunks of MCU reference manual, just for fun? :slight_smile:

Hmm.. yeah I see your point, from my experience with LSDJ and M8 it can be hard to imagine as good a workflow with just a dpad and A / B. A few more quick button based modifiers would go a long way. But I suppose there are other ways, looking forward to how you progress.

I might also throw my hat into the tracker pool once I finish up my game, probably some PCM based thing.. perhaps I will be able to work out how to make the crank feel tactile, with visuals or something.

I'm not sure if I remember docs correctly but there is an option to provide custom waveform generator to Playdate synth. That way you could make basically any type of synthesis. Also there are various filters according to API. I believe Playdate wasn't designed with ultra-low level access to hardware, hence Lua API and Pulp editor. Playdate doesn't have dedicated sound chip, everything sound related is handled by its arm cpu. It's just not the device you are looking for :wink:

It surely is. I LOVED torturing Flipper Zero. I want access to audio buffers directly to make more efficient synth, because anything made through libraries wastes some CPU cycles, this is a tradeoff for easier SDK usage. I also hope I can overclock Playdate a bit, since by reference manual it can run at 216 MHz and iirc Playdate runs at 180?? So I would crank up (no pun intended) frequency at launch of my app and lower it to default value at app exit. There maybe are some other fun things to do, like maybe accessing USB port pins directly, maybe it would allow to output image through VGA in real time (racing the beam)? Ok I am carried away. I just don't like "standard" things because every damn time they limit me in a way I don't want to be limited.

yo, im having trouble with using the playnoise tracker. it says that its not compatible with the system version.

1 Like

Hey, the project was uploaded before Rev B hardware and OS 2.0 were available. I don't have working binary for newer revision of console and the project is currently on hold.

1 Like

ah gotchu. thanks (gap for 20 characters)