Playtime - 50 weird/game-style alarm clocks for Playdate

I also have other clock ideas, and sooner or later I'll get the urge to build them...

Anyone for an autostereogram clock?

4 Likes

"Wow! A sail boat!!"

1 Like

I've been considering adding an Alarm function for some time. Since all the buttons/crank already have uses, I think keeping it entirely in the System Menu is the way to go:

Playtime-Alarm-Menu-Tetrad

If anyone wants to test this functionality (December I think) let me know!

I intend to offer both unlimited and "just once" snooze modes. With a unique alarm sound depending on whether or not snooze is enabled. I think that would help MY groggy brain in the morning!

Further help for groggy brains: I'm thinking that if you choose to enable snooze, any button will snooze--but turning the alarm fully OFF will require a little more brain power: docking the crank, I think? Still quick and easy, but you have to be intentional about it. No way to confuse that with the snooze button(s).

(Looks like alarms will be best used attached to power—a sleeping Playdate won't sound the alarm. My clocks can certainly last the night on battery, and can be set to stay awake when unplugged—but better safe than sorry.)

3 Likes

Alarms added! Anyone want to be a tester for this? I'll release in a few days (along with the "All Work and No Play" non-game Playdate bundle I'm putting together on Itch.)

You can have an alarm with no snooze, or unlimited snooze, or you can limit snooze to just once or twice.

Alarm Summary

When the alarm sounds, the time is shown big and bold... so no worries if you chose a particularly weird clock!

Alarm Sound

Then, after the alarm is stopped, you're asked to explicitly choose whether you want the alarm to sound again the next day, or leave it turned off.

Alarm Stop

Basically, it's been my chance to add UI touches I wish my usual alarm (iPhone) had!

1 Like

Playtime 2 is out (and part of the "All Work and No Play" non-game bundle through end of January).

In addition to adding alarms, I knew I needed more clocks... now a total of 50!

Here's "Wordplay," one of the new clocks I had fun* making, which algorithmically fits the words of the current time into a tidy rectangle, with random boldfacing and colors:

Wordplay light
(Yes, it supports miitary-style phrasing—"zero five hundred"—if you choose 24-hour time mode.)

And this one is Signpost: analog hour + digital minutes:

Signpost analog

Not feeling analog? Here's a "low-state" variation:

Signpost low-state

Those digits are my giant new PlayDIN 114 font. (The rest of the app uses my PlayDIN 19.)

• By "fun" I mean "it nearly ruptured something important in my skull."
1 Like

April 2023 Update

Playtime is coming to Catalog. However, I intend to update the Itch version as well. No exclusive features planned.

A few bug fixes are in the works—along with faster transition animations now that I'm a more savvy Playdate coder. "Wordplay" is gaining a little more font variation, along with a few other bits of polish here and there.

(Currently the alarm can sometimes act weird—as in, you can't turn it off without going Home—when used with the "Surprise!" clock.)

And in future I hope to continue addressing the app's biggest failing: NOT ENOUGH CLOCKS!

3 Likes

Version 2.1 is out now on Itch (and soon, on Catalog). A bunch of improvements and fixes:

Improvements:

• Super-smooth new transitions for Liquid Crystal, Beast, and Verbose clocks.

• New sliding transitions for Wordplay clocks.

• Greater variety of type styles in Wordplay clocks.

• 12- vs. 24-hour support is now determined automatically (you make that choice in the Playdate's own Settings), so I have removed that control from Playtime's internal Settings screen.

• Improved graphics for the Blocky Clock retro adventure game theme (bolder outlines).

• Quieter sounds when cranking and scrolling.

Bug fixes:

• In certain rare situations, the alarm would get quiet instead of shutting off fully.

• Blocky Clocks would temporarily fail to show 24-hour time during cranking.

• Occasional crash when cranking very fast in the clock gallery.

• Occasional day/date complication color issue with low-state clocks.

Misc.:

• Animated List View icon for Playdate OS 2.0.

• Signpost and Signpost Analog clocks renamed Hybrid and Hybrid Analog.

• Improved the look of day/date complications for Hybrid (Signpost).

• Refined graphics for Blocky Clock 90° variations.

• Many tweaks to the gallery thumbnails and preview art.

• Many clarifications and improvements to the in-app documentation. Added mention of Upside Down mode, etc.

1 Like