satOlite - A tower defense game with satellites orbiting planets - Out now!

Hi everyone!

Some weeks ago, on a long train-ride, I started a project to learn how to use the SDK. I had so much fun developing with the SDK, I continued working on my project almost every night after work.
Big shoutout to SquidGodDev for his amazing tutorials and all the help I got in the Discord!

About the game:

It's a tower defense game called sat O lite.
You have to place little Satellites (yes, you use the crank to place them on the exact spot in orbit you want them to be) around planets, that shoot down attacking enemies. Like in most TD games, you have to use strategie, ressource management and the synergies of you satellites to stop the enemy ships.
It's going to have little story bits during missions, many different enemies and satellite types and fun surprises.

I hope you like it :slightly_smiling_face:

satOlite03_1

satOlite03_2

24 Likes

How are you doing the static effect on the dialog boxes? I love it!

This looks really cool! I'm excited to see where you take it.

Maybe?

playdate.graphics.image:vcrPauseFilterImage()

At least this is what I use similarly in Daily Driver.

Matt is right. I use playdate.graphics.image:vcrPauseFilterImage(). Since all my UI elements are mostly single Sprites, this works super nicely :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I've been working on my card today. I really like that we can animate them :heart_eyes:

satOlite_card_highlight

12 Likes

You should probably create a thread in the get help section and share your code. I'm sure its just a minor problem and someone can help you fix it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Any news on this game? It looks great and id love to play it

Hi! I'm still working on it. I was just busy with other projects, but I made some progress and I'm currently trying to get the remaining level done, so I can release it. But I can't give you an estimate when it's going to be released.
Thanks for your interest :blush:

1 Like

It looks really cool! How are are you using it? Like this? I can't seem to get it to work.

local vcrImage = gfx.image.new("imagepath")
vcrImage:vcrPauseFilterImage()
vcrImage:draw(x,y)

You'll need to assign the VCR result to a new image, and it's best if you call it repeatedly as the results vary - this is how you get the animation.

2 Likes

Ah i see, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up!

I haven't posted any updates for a while, but I kept working on the game :blush:
In the second Playdate Community Direct, satOlite was featured with a little Teaser. And I launched an itch.io Page.
I aim to release the game end of this year. Nothing can go wrong, right? :smile:

4 Likes

Hi everyone!
I shared some updates about my Playdate games satOlite and Dash Arena on itch:

https://itch.io/blog/648678/satolite-dash-arena-update

2 Likes

Hi everyone!
satOlite is out now!

Watch the trailer

Get the game here

Legend! Will try it on the weekend!

1 Like

I did, and this is really good fun! Great use of the crank. Good level of challenge (haven't completed yet).

1 Like

Thank you so much :yellow_heart: Really appreciate it!