Starting my first project for Playdate as a beginner to games

Hi all,

This may be more of a process journal just for my own records, but maybe some of you will be interested (or offer much needed help on things as I am only just learning!).

I am currently trying to make a very simple game in Pulp. I simply want to explore the software and try it out on my Playdate when it arrives.

Last night I did a bit of work drawing rock textures and trying to make a believable looking cave from individual tiles. I like what I came up with (see below).

cave

I like not having to fill the whole canvas, and although I am still deciding what this game is going to be about, I like the idea of claustrophobia in a game (similar to Airdorf's 'Faith').

Anyway, I'm going to keep adding to this as I do more. For now, thanks for reading!

• Asher
6 Likes

Hey,

So I don't know if I start a new thread or not, but I've done a little more work:

screenshot (4)

screenshot (3)

rooms

My main goal is to implement a light mechanic like this. However, it still feels a little above me and so I'm just working on art for now (oh and I've made a little bit of music but I'm not sure how to screen record with sound just yet).

Thanks for reading!

Asher

P.S. Yes, that is supposed to be a walk animation, but I haven't worked out how to get it to move only when the player moves (and rotate animation). I'll get there.

6 Likes

The noisy textures really stand out, look forward to seeing more!

2 Likes

Thank you for taking a look! Yeah, I like the ratty looking tiles. Trying to go for a horror ish vibe. Do you make games too? Edit: I just looked and saw you made resonant tale! I just added that ost to my wishlist last night. Will check it and the game out soon.

2 Likes

The noisy tile textures look really organic and even "higher" resolution than you'd expect from Pulp. Nice!

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words. I'm not sure what I'm doing differently re: resolution, but I'm glad it looks good to someone else's eyes. Thanks for reading!

"Whether the, 'apparatus' is a singular device or part of a larger network is unclear.
It runs deep into the rock... or perhaps was chipped out if it.
"
Machine

Things have been moving along well, though slowly as I have a few other things on. My good friend Tyk-Tok is doing an amazing job at turning my vauge ideas into an actual story with actual dialogue. I'm excited to see where things head next.

Here is what I need to work on:

• Coding in a limited light mechanic - I linked this before, though I am still learning how to implement it. My ideal mechanic is for the crank to act like a dynamo to the light (maybe a torch, maybe a lantern). You have to crank the light to give it power, and that power lasts only for a time. Cranking makes sound and (if I can get this to happen) nearby enemy AI will be drawn to the sound. However, there are mazes and you will need light to navigate them.

• AI enemies - As above I want to figure out a simple AI enemy that will make its way to you slowly. If it touches you, you restart or die. You have no weapon and only have speed as an advantage.

• Simple fetch quest - The whole goal is to collect items to activate the machine. I, and Tyk-Tok, are still working out the details of this. It's a simple idea made a little more complex with the light mechanic.

And there you are. This is the lay of the land so far. I am going to post this on various Discord channels and if you have any great tutorials on any of these subjects I would love to see/read them!

Thank you again for reading and the encouragement I have already received.

• Asher
6 Likes

Hey,

So things haven't progressed very much since last time, possibly due to the arrival of my Playdate and all the games/apps I've been enjoying. However, I have been making a bit of music using 'Granular' by Orllewin In-use: (OP-1 + Playdate)..

Below is me working on more caves. I will start doing some actual coding soon ... I think.

Asher

5 Likes

Hi all,

Slow progress here. I've mainly been chipping away at more tiles for the world. Below is a little of my work.
Untitled

I really need to start implementing this light mechanic soon. Gotta do a bit more reading.

Asher

P.S. I will be releasing some Playdate ambient music this Bandcamp Friday here: https://ashergraiegmorrison.bandcamp.com/

5 Likes

Hi all,

Here is a little EP made with the Playdate. Check the liner notes for extra details on which apps I used Music as a Gradual Process | Asher Graieg-Morrison

Enjoy!

3 Likes