System 6 Pocket - A Classic Macintosh "Simulator"

Very cool!

FWIW, I made Bold for one of my fonts using this method, which gives results the same as old-style programmatic bold:

1. Open the font PNG in Photoshop, duplicate the layer, and nudge the copy to the right 1 or 2 pixels.

2. In Caps, increase the global letter-spacing by that same amount.

3. Slink quietly away and hope nobody notices that's all I did.

2 Likes

That’s beyond cool! I was hoping someone would do something like this and there it is :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is EXACTLY what I'd hoped to see on the playdate. Thanks for putting your time into this!

1 Like

I've been playing with a tilt-controlled "mouse pointer" concept--mainly for typing on a keyboard concept I have, but it might be cool as Mac pointer too. Not sure how good I can get it to feel yet. I want tilt to control absolute position—not speed—for a (hopefully) precise feel.

2 Likes

Let me know how it goes, that sounds cool. Did you see Dustin's post in the helpful code thread, it might be on track of what you're talking about:

2 Likes

Thanks, that should be helpful!

This is amazing. Great job! I did the same thing for Windows 3.1 but ultimately got bored when trying to implement actual apps. Turns out the thing I really enjoyed was creating 1bit versions of bitmapped graphics and less-so trying to clone MFC behavior as a Lua API.
win31-better

I even implemented all the original backgrounds too.

9 Likes

Wonderful one and all.

1 Like

As you continue to grow this smashingly brilliant idea, please don't forget about a little (crankable) game from way-back-then called "Shufflepuck."

3 Likes

:eyes:

I hadn't heard of it, but it looks like a Playdate game actually ! :rofl:

Now that I watch the video you linked to, I don't see it being a viable playdate experience, unless Panic releases a little yellow mouse. Shufflepuck requires being able to mimic the action of an air hockey paddle now that I see it again (it's been decades). Guess I'll have to buy an actual Macintosh Plus.

On the other hand, SuperPaint working in the simulator would be a jaw dropper.

Part of the fun of making Playdate stuff has been figuring out how to adapt things to limited buttons or to using the crank in unexpected ways... so I say bring it on :grimacing:

That would be awesome! Although, one of the members here is working on a very cool creative/drawing app that looks like it may blow that out of the water.

If you haven't already, check this very cool System-6-running-in-a-web-page. There onscreen you will find a folder full of playable games from that era: vector Star Wars, Prince of Persia, Mac Man, Crystal Quest, etc. etc. (28 of them). Have at ‘em!

And even though someone (several someones, perhaps) might be creating Playdate drawing apps, please don’t let that stop you. SuperPaint was the #1 reason I wanted a Mac instead of Windows way back then. Programs like MacPaint and SuperPaint were the progenitors of Photoshop in that they defined the UI (vertical toolbar strip, etc.).

Games are great and all, but excellent drawing apps were what set the Mac apart and established it as a creative person’s weapon of choice. Since you’re taking a shot at replicating what made an original Mac so charming, pulling off MacPaint or SuperPaint should be near the top of your feature list.

Either of those two apps would be great. However don’t forget that SuperPaint had a little tornado tool that would randomize the pixels where you applied it. So it gets my vote for having the original blur tool. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome! Also, that emulation... would have been quite useful earlier in this process... :rofl:

noted ! :nerd_face:

When I was in school they had a super ancient public Mac set up just for managing the big printer. No chair and no keyboard, so nobody could hog it for doing actual work.

But if we needed to make a little change to a project, sometimes we'd use that Mac anyway: you could use the mouse to type into any app using Apple's "Key Caps" application. Looks like that existed back in System 6:

So that might be an interesting--and authentic!--alternative way to implement text entry if you ever incorporated a full mouse cursor.

(P.S. I just learned that Key Caps still exists—now called Accessibility Keyboard—in current Mac OS. It's a crazy-looking stretchable window with non-standard window widgets, and tons of customization options, like adjustable transparency and being able to set its dark/light mode different from the system.)

2 Likes

I just remembered this layout test I did for (the too long in development) Hanafuda game for Playdate.

I still use System 7 a lot so this was based on that, hence the different menu font.

Everything in the below screenshot was drawn on System 7 in an app called UltraPaint, which I prefer only because I've used it more than SuperPaint or the paint mode in HyperCard which are apparently both very strong.

The cards are texture patterns from the app, which I guess are supposed to be colour but dither into really nice sort-of-random tritone patterns.

2019-07-09, 18.08 "Classic"

2019-07-09, 18.08 - Classic

5 Likes

While messing around with learning 9-slices, I created an AmigaDOS influenced window thing. I didn't include mouse cursor (which i implemented for other apps) but i got it sprite based with each "window" having its own render bitmap for free. :wink: I used it for my LlamaFonts free app on itch... LlamaFonts by BleuLlama :smiley:

3 Likes

Love this. "Only Amiga!"

1 Like

Haha I loved shufflepuck as a kid on the mac plus, after I finish the little platformer game I am working on I have some ideas on how to implement a shuffle puck like game. My parents still like to remind me of how mad I got as a kid when the characters laughed at me for losing. :sweat_smile:

this project seems very cool.. I would love to see a Hypnospace type game come to fruition from it.

2 Likes

I love this! The instant I saw Playdate I thought it was ripe for aping old Mac systems, games, and graphics. Kinda wish there was a bit more, but what's here is fantastic.

Have you given any thought to using the accelerometer to control a cursor?

Also, I beat the puzzle game! I've never managed to do that before. :open_mouth:
System 6 Pocket 2023-08-23 22.18.48

1 Like