Ability to change .pdx metadata

I would like to release updates to my game. Right now, the only way to make sure it's a new version is to update the filename in pulp. When you export and load your game onto a Playdate, it keeps the filename which causes it to sideload a brand new game. This is problematic for people who want to access the same save file.

So, if we could access the filename and version number when exporting, this would solve this problem.

Thanks!

1 Like

I agree with your feature request that Pulp should be able to modify more metadata from within the UI.

That being said, if you want to release updates to your game, what you should be doing is modifying the pdxinfo file that's located in your exported zip.

This is how a default one would look like.

name=Pulp Game
author=Anonymous Pulp Author
description=A tiny game made with Pulp
bundleID=pulp.anonymouspulpauthor.action
imagePath=card
pdxversion=11000
buildtime=709431338

Then, insert your version number into this, which will represent the cosmetic value the user will see when they sideload. Insert the buildVersion, this is an internal number that if incremented higher will indicate to the user this is an update and would they like to download it.

This example below might be version 1.0.

name=Pulp Game
version=1.00
buildNumber=100
imagePath=card
pdxversion=11000
buildtime=709431338

Then if I want to push out an update to version 1.10, and the user able to retain save data and not have to uninstall, I would update my version and buildNumber like this:

name=Pulp Game
version=1.10
buildNumber=110
imagePath=card
pdxversion=11000
buildtime=709431338

When they sideload, their Playdate will indicate there is an update and they can choose to download it, similarly to how Season game updates look.

4 Likes

This is a good example of the kind of feature we'll probably add — improves quality of life without massive reorganization of the UI or architecture of Pulp. Thanks for the idea!