Animated Sprite helpful class

You're right, I might copy-paste similar configs for new animations and just tweak some parameters, then compile to see how it's doing...

1 Like

:exclamation: There was "pdxinfo is missing" problem with playdate sideload feature caused by this lib.
I've fixed that, I highly recommend updating from git repo or not adding test/ folder into your game.

First off, thanks for making such an incredible resource. I'm not sure if I'm thinking about it wrong, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use it to draw multiple instances of the same animation.

For example, in my game there are items scattered randomly around the level. Previously, I implemented this using the built-in Playdate animation loops, something like (using pseudocode)

if tile is onscreen then
   if tile.item ~= nil then
      draw tile.item at tile.position

I was planning on doing something similar with AnimatedSprite, however I don't see a way to not draw an AnimatedSprite once it's been created. My concern is I don't want to draw the animations when they're not on screen (since you mentioned there are performance concerns and I may have hundreds of items on the map). I suppose I could play and pause the animations when they enter/exit the screen, but would there still be a performance hit even if the animation is paused? Or is there a way of doing this that I'm missing?

1 Like

This is new use case for me, I didn't think about it before. For my endless runner game I just create new instance of the AnimatedSprite and delete it when it's out of the screen...

You can override default :update() function to empty function (don't call :updateAnimation()), you need to call :updateAnimation() manually then. + Maybe removing AnimatedSprite(32 line): self:add() will help with performance, but you need to call:updateAnimation() every frame (idk if it'll work)~

Mind if I ask how you delete it? I think that could work for my case as well.

Edit: Actually I think I see, you just add and delete from the list of sprites. But is there a good way to add the same Animated Sprite multiple times at different positions?

By delete I mean open AnimatedSprite.lua file and delete code) You can create copy of the original class and have AnimatedSprite.lua and AnimatedStaticSprite.lua (without automatic :add()). For normal animations use AnimatedSprite that will automatically animate and for your tile animations you can use AnimatedStaticSprite and invoke :updateAnimation() manually.

But is there a good way to add the same Animated Sprite multiple times at different positions?

I don't know what you're talking concterly, but you can use for cycle to create multiple sprites...

Thanks @Whitebrim for this library, I have an issue while using it

main.lua

function playdate.update()

gfx.sprite.update()
    playdate.timer.updateTimers()

end

but this update is not calling the update function in the player.lua , as I can't able to move my sprite

class("Player").extends(AnimatedSprite)

function Player:init(x, y)
    imgtable = pd.graphics.imagetable.new("Images/flight-table-24-24")
    playerSprite = AnimatedSprite.new(imgtable)   -- creating animated sprite
    playerSprite:addState('idle', 1, 2, {tickStep = 2})
    playerSprite:playAnimation()
    playerSprite:setCollideRect(0, 0, playerSprite:getImage(1):getSize())

playerSprite:moveTo(x, y)
    playerSprite:add()
end

function Player:update()
    print("update called ...")
    if pd.buttonIsPressed( pd.kButtonUp ) then 
        playerSprite:moveBy( 0, -2 )
    end
    if pd.buttonIsPressed( pd.kButtonRight ) then
        playerSprite:moveBy( 2, 0 )
    end
    if pd.buttonIsPressed( pd.kButtonDown ) then
        playerSprite:moveBy( 0, 2 )
    end
    if pd.buttonIsPressed( pd.kButtonLeft ) then
        playerSprite:moveBy( -2, 0 )
    end
end

As the class AnimatedSprite is extending sprites, I thought this will work, but its not getting called, any ideas ?

(edited : 26Jul)

Hi, @jae, here's:

Wiki

Update override case

You don't need to call playerSprite:add()

Timers aren't used in AnimatedSprite, if you don't use them too, you can remove playdate.timer.updateTimers() too.

I assume Player is not animated sprite class, Player:update() is not handled by this lib, if it was playerSprite:update() instead, then it will be handled by gfx.sprite.update() because playerSprite is sprite. I'm not sure if Player is sprite, therefore nobody invokes Player:update(). Your problem was that "update called ..." never appears in the logs, right?

Thanks @Whitebrim for your quick answer , I missed the vital part of the code where the Player class is extending AnimatedSprite class.

Thanks to your answer , I figured out I need to use (updated code)

function AnimatedSprite:update()
    print("update is called")
    if pd.buttonIsPressed( pd.kButtonUp )  then
        playerSprite:moveBy( 0, -2 )
    end
end

And now the update function is called.

Also, are there any examples available to use collision along with the AnimatedSprite component ?

Here's my code from cranner that uses collisions (groups):
link