Are all variables global and not instanced?

This might sound like a stupid question, but i'd assumed variables were instanced (as in, per item) on items.

On player I call emit "notinroom" as part of the draw event. // this works fine.

This calls a function in an item (or rather, on all items of that type) that resets a variable to 0, so the function doesn't recur.

on notinroom do

if roomname=="start" then  //custom what room we in check
		if readytoharvest==1 then    
				readytoharvest = 0                 //reset the variable
	      	                swap "PlantedCollectable"    //do the swap
		                                  end
                              end

end

But once it finds that variable for "readytoharvest" it seems to be going "okay let's just swap the 1st tile we find and call it a day".

My question is then, are variables on items global and not local/instanced?
In which case, can I flag a variable as instanced / unique / per item?
Actually loosing my mind over this lol.

Documentation says global and indeed they are global.

To keep variable namespace clean I use an underscore before any local variable. For example _foo

Then I make double sure to initialize the "local" variable before use. To be clear that does not make the variable a true local or instanced variable. You need to work with the limited constructs Pulp has and that means moving away from object orientism. Assembly would be a better reference point.

1 Like

@0x143 Yeah that's what i'm struggling with jumping from OOP.

For context it's a farming game so you plant up a field with 30-50 "items", with a "growing" timer and a "Is it ready to harvest" check.

Can't figure a way to do that check per item tile without using instanced variables or just having 30 duplicate items with a variable for each. Open to any suggestions bud!

Haha, you figured it out though. Pulp isn't a tool for complex games so emulating complex games requires compromising. Both in making your code dirty, and also maybe letting the player plant 5 max not 30.

3 Likes

Have the sprite contain if it's ready to harvest. So the time swaps through the different growing sprites, then each sprite as a state. The last grown veggie can be harvested.

Maybe?

I dig this idea! Building on that, you could place a seed tile that has multiple frames representing growth. Every so many game turns or frames, you advance these tiles to their next frame until they reach their terminal frame.

The current frame is a de facto local variable on each instance of the tile, so you can check it when the player moves onto the tile to see if it's harvestable.

For my game, I just realized I might be able to use the frame hack to represent HP ... i.e., spawn a monster sprite at frame X, where X is their max HP, and then decrease the frame each hit until it dies at 0. Clever.