BLOB-Y: Puzzle Game

level-one

Hi! BLOB-Y is a puzzle game I have been developing for a few months. You play as BLOB-Y, a genetically engineered gelatinous mass that has escaped the lab and is oozing towards freedom. Avoid deadly lasers and the evil cyclops as you help BLOB-Y escape his prison!

I wanted to create a puzzle game that's challenging and rewarding so I decided to focus mostly on mechanics and puzzle design. The art and story in the game are intentionally minimalistic so that I can emphasize the gameplay (and actually finish the game in my free time). I'm still working on creating more levels (end goal is 40-50), and finishing up the UI. Here are some of the levels I have so far:

boxes-destroyed

death-animation

level-finished

Players can use the crank or the A and B buttons to move BLOB-Y forwards and to reverse time.
reverse

BLOB-Y can only move in a straight line and only turn when he collides with a wall. However, he can use magnetic boxes in the level to protect himself from lasers (or position himself strategically). Each level has 3 stars that can be earned by solving the puzzle with the least moves possible. There might even be a secret reward for earning 3 stars on every level...

I'm still at least a few months away from finishing the game but I'm really excited to share it and see what people think. I will update this thread as I make progress and add content. I would love to hear any comments, questions, or suggestions that people have about the game so far. Thanks!

4 Likes

I'd love to play a little puzzle platformer on Playdate. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

I've been working on the menu, level select, and card images slowly over the past few months. I'm making all the art through a combination of digital pixel art and photographs of pen and paper drawings. I have 25 levels so far but level creation has slowed down as I'm trying not to recycle and puzzle ideas between levels and use unique combinations of the mechanics. Still haven't decided if I want to create some "story" animations that show why Blob-Y was created and the origin of the mysterious Blob-X. Here are some gifs of my progress!

open-animation

cursor-move

level-select

dying-animation

level-18