Cannot Register Simulator (404 url)

After logging out and in again (I did try that before), I was finally able to see the page.

I don't know whether anything was just fixed or if it was a weird... cookie issue?

But in any case, it works! Thank you!

1 Like

May have been a server-side issue. Just tried again and worked for me as well, after trying several times over the last half hour.

This should be resolved now. Thanks for letting us know!

4 Likes

I can access the page properly now but I get an error every time I try to register the simulator. I tried registering it from the settings menu and the other way around from the website without success.

1 Like

I get the same error, "Unable to register".

I'm still seeing the issue. I've tried Chrome and Firefox, Private windows, closing everything, signing out, etc.

I cant play any games either. is it the same problem?

I'm having the same issue - page works fine, but I get that dialog box when trying to register. Win 10.

I'm experiencing the same registration issue.

I was having the same problem, but was able to work around the issue by creating a file in PlaydateSDK\Disk\System called access_token and manually pasting the token text in that file.

1 Like

I can't get this fix to work. Is it just a basic text file you can make in windows in the \System folder or does it go in a special folder after making it. And does it have any special format on the file like "access_token = accesstoken..." and do I need the PSIM in there as well?

Although it fixed the registration problem, I am having other issues that seem to be related... for example I can't play games.. so I guess it's not really a workable solution. But it is just a file called "access_token" (no extension) in the Disk\System subfolder of the Playdate SDK folder. Using a text editor, I pasted the 38 character token (including the '-'s) that matches my device's PSIM as the only thing in that file. Whatever is wrong seems to be preventing the simulator from creating it when registering.

I see... Well thank you for letting me know :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone for reporting! We're taking a look at it right now and will reply back here when we have an update!

1 Like

Hey folks, to get registered you first have to connect the Playdate OS to wifi. Yeah, it's a bit odd and not obvious, we apologize. We're adding a dialog if it's not set up before attempting to register. Secondly, on Windows/Linux there is a bug where the OS won't remember your wifi settings. We're getting that cleared up as well. Lastly, you only need an access token if you want to use the leaderboard APIs. You should be able to get started without registering your simulator.

Hope this helps a bit!

Will

2 Likes

How do you connect the simulator to wifi? How to connect to internet on Simulatior - this thread seems to suggest you cannot

Thar’s an error on my part.

In the Settings app, select one of the test wifi networks. The pw is the same as the name (it's a dummy connection to your computers networking stack). This step is required for registering the Sim and using the leaderboard APIs.

6 Likes

So apparently my problems playing games were arising because I was trying to open .pdx directories from my D: drive. If I open them from my C: drive they work fine. Perhaps the PlaydateSDK needs to be installed on the C: drive in order to register?

That's strange because I'm able to open things fine on my E: drive. I don't think it needs to be installed on the C drive to register the token or games. You should be able to open pdx bundles via CTRL+O anywhere, but when selecting them as a game in the simulator they have to be in the Disk->Games folder. You have to register the sim via wi-fi as mentioned by Will earlier to play games from the sim.