Consider opening up the PulpScript docs for contributions

1. Describe your reason for requesting this feature. What problems are you running into?

• I've been developing several game prototypes and have found a significant number of, for lack of a better term, "gotchas" when learning PulpScript. I'll list some examples below, but in general I feel like the PulpScript documentation is lacking some rather important details when it comes to:

1. how to use & combine functions properly
      2. how order of events impact what is possible
  2. How would this request improve your experience with using Pulp?

• Besides devlogs that may or may not get read, I find it a bit frustrating to know that other developers will have to do the same experimentation to get the same knowledge.
    • Perhaps if wiki-ifying the Pulpscript page isn't feasible a pinned thread might work?
  3. Include any other details you have relating to this request.

• Here are some specific examples I've run into.

1. The concept of a "submenu" is mentioned several places but no examples of how to implement it (could theoretically be any combination of nesting menu & option)
      2. label isn't permanent
      3. frame and other functions like it have to be used with tell (unless scripting on an individual tile)
      4. You can embed the player tile in menu or say but you don't get transparency with it
      5. If you want to prevent menu closure on select by calling the same menu in dismiss you're actually drawing another menu on top of the last with no closure of the first
      6. If you put code after menu it'll execute before the menu is closed
      7. goto isn't immediate, so if you want to goto a room and then change how it looks with a function like swap that's not possible in one transaction (would have to put swap in an enter event)
      8. String concatenation isn't supported with += but is possible with assignment & string interpolation (e.g. var1 = "{var1}{var2}")
      9. You can do comparisons between strings and numbers with string interpolation string=="{int}"
      10. It's unclear whether race conditions can exist with the existence of emit as well as draw happening all the time vs.events handling input
      11. It isn't explicitly stated that Booleans aren't supported types
      12. It says invalid is called when the player "selects an empty option," but option "" then end is not considered valid input so it's unclear what "empty option" could mean
    • Troubleshooting an issue for me often involves lots of logging and trying to internalize the order of events. It would be great if there was an explicit list from start to end instead of hints of the order throughout the docs.

Note: Sorry if there's a lot of edits! I accidentally hit enter and published this early.

5 Likes