Drawing a different "still" tile when player hasn't moved

I have a player who is a cat, and want to have the cat sit after not having to have moved
I have this so far, but it's pretty buggy

on update do
  updateFrame = event.frame

if event.dx==-1 then
		swap "player-left"
	elseif event.dx==1 then
		swap "player-right"
	elseif event.dy==1 then
	elseif event.dy==-1 then
	end

wait 3 then
	  if updateFrame > event.frame then
	    call "sit"
	  end
	end
end

on sit do
	swap "player-sit"
end

I would probably maintain my own timer using game’s loop event (passed to the player) and then only use player’s update to interrupt that timer. Something like this:

In the game’s script:

on loop do
	tell event.player to
		call "loop"
	end
end

Then in the player:

on enter do
	is_sitting = 0
	sit_elapsed = 0
end

on loop do
	if is_sitting==0 then
		sit_elapsed += 1
		if sit_elapsed>=60 then // 3 seconds
			is_sitting = 1
			tell event.player to
				play "sit" then
					swap "sleep"
				end
			end
		end
	end
end

on update do
  sit_elapsed = 0
	if is_sitting==1 then
		is_sitting = 0
		swap "player"
	end
end

So first we set up our variables on enter. Then in our custom loop handler (which is called by the game’s native loop event) if we’re not already sitting we increment our timer. If the timer has run for 3 seconds (20fps * 3 seconds = 60 ticks) we tell the player to play their “sit” animation. play will play the animation once then stop. The optional block after that lets us use swap to start looping their sleeping animation. Then in the player’s update handler we reset our timer and if they’re already sitting, wake them up.

3 Likes

That worked great! Just had to integrate different directions. Thanks for the clear answer!

I wish the docs had more examples and more text about which events are used for what. Like sample use cases and more code examples. Also an AND and OR operator would be super helpful.

1 Like