Gimme Friction Baby: Game Release

After a few weeks I've gotten a port of Gimme Friction Baby ready for release on Itch! ($2 recommended, no minimum).

I definitely had a blast doing this one. Especially once I realized that if you exclude sound/music (even after converting to mono and recompressing) it's possible to reduce the PDX size from 1.7MB (fine) to a tiny 37KB! I never stop being amazed that you can actually build a fun playable game in half the space of this screenshot:
credits

Anyways, I decided to make this one open source too. The code is a bit of a mess because I ported it directly from ActionScript+Flash to Lua+PlaydateSDK trying to make as few changes as possible. Anyways, the code is here: github.com/notpeter/playdate-friction.

Take a look and let me know if you have any feedback. This was a fun one. I mostly built it for me but am happy I spent the couple extra hours prepping it for release (making title cards, wrapping paper, rebuilding to workaround OSX zip bugs, etc) to share it with everyone else.

Gimme Friction Baby is one of the greatest games of all time, but this is just a tribute.

gimme-gameplay

7 Likes

oh nice. one of my favorite old flash games! I'll buy this when I get my device.

The original passed me by so thank you for bringing this game to my attention! Looking forward to trying it out once I get my playdate :playdate_happy:

There’s a great iOS version that adds gravity.

1 Like

So that's why this felt familar!

1 Like