I'm making Lua tutorials – What do you need help with?

Hey all! My name is Franchovy, and I'm planning on switching gears on my youtube channel and will now be posting game development tutorials in Lua. I have a developer background, combined with my entertainment-learning mentality, I'm here to improve your programming and make your best game yet.

Some topics I plan to cover are:

• How to extend playdate SDK methods
  • How to bypass the playdate sprite system for faster drawing
  • Optimisations and how to write fast lua code
  • Metatables, metamethods and how to use them
  • Creating namespaces by manipulating the globals table

I'm planning on posting videos daily, so suggest down below if you're stuck on a topic and need help. I'm happy to cover and core lua, playdate SDK, or other related topics. If you've struggled with a topic in the past, or know of some that aren't well covered by existing tutorials, I'll be happy to take a deep dive into them.

I'm excited to hear your responses. Stay tuned for some fun tutorials!

2 Likes

Sounds useful! You’ve got some of my top picks on your list already. I'd also be curious to learn more about when and how to leverage coroutines. Looking forward to seeing what you put together.

1 Like

Faster drawing sounds interesting

1 Like

Coroutines I'll definitely end up covering, I've had others suggest on how to make incremental loading for example, where a progress bar or something updates bit by bit while performing the contents of a function. I've learned the theory – now it's just about putting together an example!
Thanks for the support! :slight_smile:

2 Likes