In Development: Snowboard Game

I did managed to trigger the boost and I saw the little smoke and I felt the acceleration. I just didn't double press right I guess. Maybe I kept the A button down after the double press.
It's also hard to tell if the gauge is really full or "just-1-pixel-not-full". Maybe add a "glow" or something around a full gauge ?

Another little bug : the "time played" counter keeps on counting when the game is in the pause menu and when console is in sleep (with the clock). The music also stops if you stay too long in the pause menu. I guess it doesn't loop as it stops when the avalanche arrive but the pause menu doesn't seems to stop time and music.

Another thing : I can't remember if there is a message when we unlock an upgrade ?

There is a message "tasked completed" at the end of a run but it would be nice to know which one at that time. And the message disapears rather quickly too.

Sorry for the flood :slight_smile:
I hope my feedbacks help and you don't feel them negatively :confused: because it's not !
The game is great fun ! :smiley:

1 Like

Good to hear the dithering is performing well. Your feedback is really apricated, it’s just what I need! It’s hard spotting all these things when you are making it yourself and you know how everything works, especially when you don’t have hardware to test on.

The boost used to be always available, but I changed it to an upgrade. The more you upgrade it the more gauges you have. I also made it so that the boost decays after a few seconds if you don’t perform any tricks. This was so that you can’t hoard boosts, but I can see why you are confused about this. I’ll add some feedback just before it starts decaying and maybe a “tutorial” explaining how it works when you first unlock it. I’ll also add some type of glow effect for when a gauge is full.

The jump score and multiplier should be visible through the whole jump underneath your total score, but in the format BASESCORExMULTIPLIER. When you land, this is changed to the total jump score, but I agree it disappears to quickly, so I have added a delay.

I have fixed the playtime bug, I would’ve probably never found that, thanks! I’ll let you know when I have an update if you want to test it out.

I'm gade you like my feedbacks :slight_smile:
I played more today and now I understood the whole boost mecanic. You're right, it's better this way that having it always available. Indeed, just a little tutorial or another page in the handbook would suffice to explain it.

1 Like

Hi. I have got an update for the game. I’ve added some fixes to try and address the feedback from @YomeNetSan.

The player now has an animation for when increasing gravity, as well fluid transitions between the new animation and the braking animation.
playdate-20230105-153949

I have also made some changes to the boost bar, to give more feedback to the player. It now has an different outline when it’s filled, as well as the meter start flashing before the boost starts decaying. I’ll probably add a SFX to this as well in the future, but I have no experience with making sounds and music, so that’s a future me problem. I'm also unsure if this is actually visible on the playdate or if its to small
playdate-20230105-153242

Tasks now also have a number attached to them, and when a task is complete this will be displayed after the run.

A new build will be uploaded to itch.

4 Likes

Great ! I'll try the new build as soon as possible !
I saw that there is no version number in the pdxinfo file, so it's still 0.0.0 and the game won't update itself even after a sideload. As it is, we have to delete the game in the devise and download it again manualy.

1 Like

Sorry about that, completely forgot about the version number. I’ll upload a new build with it.

The build from yesterday is great !
The flashing boost bar and the outline are perfect. Indeed a little sound would be top nothc but it's already good as it is.
Is there a real benefit to brake ? I never use the button :smiley:

1 Like

Great to hear that everything works, glad you liked it!

I mainly use the brake to line up my landings better so that I can keep up my speed. When you land some of your downwards velocity is translated to x velocity (depending on your angle), so you normally gain back all the speed you lost by braking. And you can also use it prevent the speed penalty for landing in an uphill.

I noticed that the speed penalty has been quite low, so I’ll try and increase it and see how that feels. The angle of the part you land on to get the penalty is also quite forgiving, so you can kind of skip from hilltop to hilltop.

ezgif-2-b5bb5ab607

What do you think, should I make changes to this?

OK I understand about the brake. I didn't realized you could brake mid-air :smiley:
I personnaly like how you can hop from hilltop to hilltop, it's kind of fun.
I feel the game is already not that simple at the beginning but the more you play and you unlock upgrades it's becomming funnier and funnier.
I just played a full hour trying to get the last 2 tasks. I finally managed to escape 5 avalanches in a single run (thanks to the boost and brake) but I'm still to pass the 2500m run (2471m is my max). I like how the avalanche speed increase over time.

[EDIT] I just realized you can't see the high scores from the menu, right ? I just can't find them...

1 Like

Nailed it ! \o/

Hillslide 2023-01-07 20.18.58 Hillslide 2023-01-07 20.19.53 Hillslide 2023-01-07 20.19.13

Now, I'm waiting for Temp 14 and Temp 15 :smiley: Hillslide 2023-01-07 20.19.35

1 Like

Can’t believe I forgot about the high score screen from the main menu… :sweat_smile: I’ll add it.

I haven’t really figured out the last two tasks yet, but I’ll hopefully figure something out soon. Glad to hear that you are liking the game :smiley:

Now I just need to get figure out what to do about the music/sfx and replace the placeholder graphics, do some more testing and the game should be done.

Thanks so much for the feedback, you have been a great help.

1 Like

You know, I was thinking about a snowboard/skateboard game yesterday, and why nobody thought of making one! So thanks! Will try it out and report back ASAP!

P. S. Actually, I was thinking more like a downhill half-pipe, it would work really well with the crank (you know, whitewater wipeout vibes :grin:)... but yours look and plays really well, very very impressed!

1 Like

Please! I sideloaded the first version and was like whaaaaat :joy:

P. S. I tried the latest build here, but as I start the game, the speed seems consistent, while as soon as I crash, it seems to never build up no matter what I do (or maybe it just builds up so slow that I can't even see it)... Am I doing something wrong?

Glad you are liking it.

Hmm, no I don’t think you are doing anything wrong, it sounds like there is a bug with that build. I’ll send you a link to the latest version if you want to try it out.

1 Like

Awesome! I'll try it tomorrow and report back :wink:
Thanks!

1 Like

Hey! I tried it yesterday and I'm again finding very much difficult to gain speed and height, especially after a crash... Maybe it's me, but I don't get the "increase gravity" button. I get that he crouches like I do in real snowboarding, but I don't get why he doesn't gain speed at all, I mean, after a crash it is excruciatingly slow, even if it's all downhill... :thinking:

Ok stupid me didn't read this before testing. Anyway, I still think (after playing some more) that the little hills or the crashes take away waaaaay too much speed... but hey, game is yours, if it's by design, mayba I just need to get better :joy:

Thanks for trying it out and for the feedback. In the latest build I upped the penalty for landing in up hills as I felt it was too low but seems like I set it too high. I’ll set it back to what I had it at before as that was probably fairer for newer players.

1 Like

This reminded me of Gravity Defied on J2ME for some reason, ahaha. Could be nice to have some type of game like that on Playdate

Finally got my actual Playdate delivered and this is one of the games I most look forward to! :slight_smile: @Benzalo if there are any updates I’m definitely interested in the link to that restricted itch.io page!

1 Like