In Development: Snowboard Game

@Benzalo, I'll be buying this one on itch once it is out!

1 Like

Thanks for the interest😄 It's been a while since I last worked on the game, but I think everything i had planned has been implemented.

I was really struggling with polish and tweaking values as I got so used to how everything felt, making any changes allways felt wrong🫤 I'll do a little more testing and then release the game in a few days. I'll lett you know when it's out!

@jan Glad to here that you still interested, I'll give you access to the latest build :grin:

4 Likes

The game is so nice, very cool and love it directly from the intro animation! :slight_smile: Thanks for the latest build!

Some feedback as promised:

• Some typos in Tasks: "Play 5 time" → times, "Discover 12/24 trick" → tricks, "Narrowly escape the avalanche 5 time …" → times
  • After a run, it would be nice to get a recap of tasks furthered/achieved and tricks discovered? And if you are further along, maybe a recap of your "top trick".
  • If a task is done, currently only the bar is filled. There could be a big checkmark or stamp or ribbon over it, giving some nicer indicator that it's achieved.
  • The menus could be scrollable via crank as well? But might be not useful as the crank is not used elsewhere (it seems?)
  • The "Hillslide" logo with the pixely font looks sort of unrelated to the app or out of place, could be a bit more "snowboardy"? :smiley:

Really looking forward to the full release, and to the game doing well. :snowboarder: Awesome job @Benzalo!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

Really struggling with plurals apparently, hopefully they are all fixed now🤣 I didn't use the crank for any gameplay as I didn't have a playdate at the time and i didn't know how it would feel. But I'll add it for navigation of menus.

I like the idea of completion badges, so I'll be adding that. I'll also like into what I can do about recaps.

Totally agree about the logo font looking out of place, will definitely be fixing that.

Thanks again for trying it out, I'll hopefully be releasing the game soon

3 Likes

Hei. I haven't had much time to work on the game lately, but I have started implementing the suggestions from @jan. It is now possible to use the crank to navigate all menus, as well as a completion ribbon is shown on completed tasks.

playdate-20231004-195921

Next I'll see what I can do about the logo font and recaps, but it will take a while as I'll be moving soon and it will probably take a while until I'm settle in.

4 Likes

@Benzalo really cool, looks super nice! And no stress, all the best with your move :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, it’s been a while. I haven’t done a lot since last time, just some minor tweaking and bug fixes, but I’m quite happy with the state the game is in now. I want to finish the game and publish it soon so I can focus on other projects that I have been working on (will probably post something soon, but on another account as that is a group project).

Following @jan’s suggestion of changing the main title font (100% agree, it didn’t fit in with the rest and I didn’t like it either) I have done some changes to the game card as well as the launch/hover animation. I have also made a wrapping for the game :gift:

hillslide

Still not sure about pricing, but I’ll probably go for a pay what you want or 1$, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions? Anyway the game will hopefully be out soon :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nice looking !
I personally like PD games around the 2/3$ price tag. I think your game have enough content and fun for that. It would be a steal to have it for "pay what you want".
And of course, you should submit it to the official Catalog. maybe they also can help you for choosing the right price ?

4 Likes

Really cool to hear that you are happy with how it is @Benzalo ! And yep, the wrapping and logo look real nice :slight_smile:

I don’t really know regarding pricing but would concur with what @YomeNetSan said.

Looking forward for the full release so more people can have fun with it!

1 Like

Hi there !
I just played again today and found out that the task "Play 5 times" wasn't done althought I did everything else. I guess it's a "new" task added with the lastest version. And So I realized I could complete it simply by starting a run and returning to the menu right away ("rage quit" mode :slight_smile: ). I did this 5 times and "voilà". Maybe it would be more fare to validate a "play" after a few seconds or at the end of the run completly ?

1 Like

Thanks for catching that, for some reason I didn't think of it. What I'll do is change it to "cause an avalanch 5 times" so it only counts runs where you actualy start escaping the avalanch and you can't rage quit it

1 Like

Hi.

I'm happy to announce that Hillslide has now been released on itch! The game can be found here: Hillslide by Benzalo

I want to thank every one who has helped me out by testing the game and giving feedback, I never would have managed to finish with out your help.

To the ones that already have a download link to Hillslide, I had to make some changes to the bundleID so if you want to keep your save you would have to manually transfer your save data to the new folder. Sorry about this.

5 Likes

Great !
Will you submit it to Catalog too ?

2 Likes

I have submitted, but I'll probably not know if its approved before after Christmas. So I'll have to wait and see :grin:

2 Likes

Hi I have a new update since release. I have now added a training mode.

It's a new infinite game mode where you play the game without the avalanche nor any scoring system. You can still do tricks and fail landing, but without consequences. The game mode will also show you when to hold A to increase you speed to teach you how to gain speed and airtime. My hope is that this will make it easier for new player to learn the game if you haven't played similar games before.

q5CQH2

4 Likes

Hi !
The training mode is great ! It will help newcomers indeed !
But I had a huge bug in the regular mode : my caracter will go bellow the ground 100% on each try after the avalanche has started.
Hillslide 2024-01-21 14.42.45
Hillslide 2024-01-21 14.41.22
Hillslide 2024-01-21 14.39.34

1 Like

Thanks for letting me. I'll get a fix for it asap

I found the problem and have fixed it. There should be a new build on itch now. Sorry for not catching that bug before releasing the new update.

1 Like

I really want to buy your game on Catalog! Online rankings would be great.

1 Like

I'm still waiting to hear if it's approved or not, but if it is I'll definitely add a online leaderboard

3 Likes