In Development: Snowboard Game

Hey!! Any news? :eyes: It was approved??

1 Like

Yes, it's been approved! :smiley: It will be awhile until it is out, the release data was set to the begining of april (9th of april). But in the mean time I'll be adding a gloabal leaderboard

4 Likes

GREAT !!
I'll gladely beat it for the fifth time (I guess) !

1 Like

Aaaaa yesss! Can't wait!!

1 Like

Heey Benzalo! Im just beginning my dev journey on the playdate and I have an idea that might benefit from this type of terrain generation!

Iv done similar stuff before but have no idea how it works on the playdate. Could you point me towards relevant functions/documentation or give like a short summary how you are making the terrain in practice? It would be super helpful thanks!

1 Like

Of course! The gist of it is Bezier curves to generate each hill as a polygon and drawing these to images. I'm a little busy today, but tomorrow I can make a small demo showing how I have done it.

amazing thank you! Looking forward to it! No rush of course!

Here is a small demo showing how I generate the terrain using bezier curves. You can move the controle points using the D-pad and pressing A to cycle between them.

playdate-20240305-194800

I won't pretend that I 100% understand how ensuring continuity works so I'll link to this amazing video that explains it much better then I ever could.

In the demo I'm recalculating the polygons each frame, which is not optimal, as well as using drawPolygon to draw the polygons. I haven't really tested the performance diffrence between drawing polygons and images, but I would belive it is faster drawing images. In Hillslide I'm using playdate.graphics.pushContext to draw to an image when I'm making a new polygon, but there is also playdate.graphics.lockFocus.

demo.zip (11.0 KB)

Hopefully the demo will be of help to you

3 Likes

OMG! This is amazing and very kind! Thank you!

1 Like

Great to see Hillslide on Catalog this morning ! :partying_face:
I guess it's time to compete for this leader board ! :sunglasses:
[EDIT] Yes ! Second place already ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Yes, Hillslide is now released on Catalog!!:confetti_ball::tada:

Thanks for buying it again😁

2 Likes

Is it me getting better at it or does this build is easier ?
I did 3 good scores at my 3 first attempts, without any upgrade.
Also, I can't find my local high scores from the menu, do I miss something ?

1 Like

The difficulty should be the same as the itch build, so it's mostly likely you getting better :grin:

As I added the global leaderboard I didn't want to adde more buttons to the main menu, but if you press the menu button while in the global leaderboard you can go to the local one

1 Like