Manually set datetime in Playdate Simulator

1. Describe your reason for requesting this feature. What problems are you running into?

• Games with features that rely on datetime (e.g. cooldowns, changing with the real seasons like Animal Crossing) are inconvenient to test in Playdate Simulator. It requires going into OS-level settings to change the clock temporarily.
    • It would be nice to be able to set a datetime inside the application. Presumably it would be considered the datetime when the virtual Playdate is launched and tick up like normal.
  2. How would this request improve your experience developing for Playdate?

• Being able set a datetime for the Playdate Simulator would prevent adverse OS-level side effects that occur when having an incorrect clock. For example, not being able to load websites (see Edge error below) or time-based color changes like light/dark theme toggling or shifting display color temperature (e.g. flux, Night Shift).

3. Include any other details you have relating to this request.

• I see that it's possible to go to Settings > Time > Set Manually to have a finer grain of control of time, but date changing doesn't appear in settings as far as I'm aware. I understand why that wouldn't be offered at the Playdate OS level considering the nature of Season 1, and I don't necessarily think it should be added there as this request is specific to testing.
2 Likes

I see what you mean—you can manually set the time but not the date.

(Workaround: for testing my Playtime clock app, I ended up adding functions to hard-code an app-internal time/date that overrides what is read from the system. Not super convenient, but better than messing with the host OS date!)

1 Like

That's a great idea, thanks! I've filed a feature request and we'll get to it.. soon I hope

2 Likes