Matching Machine – devlog and demo

Matching Machine is a game where you make groups of tiles by using the crank. Tiles continuously spawn, and that gets faster the more matches you've made.

Here's some screenshots of the current version (v0.1):

mm-gif2

Matching Machine 2022-07-18 03.22.51

Matching Machine 2022-07-18 03.26.46

MatchingMachine-systemMenuOpen2

MatchingMachine-help

If this sounds interesting, please download it and give it a whirl.

MatchingMachine-v0.1.pdx.zip (38.2 KB)

I am looking for some feedback: Does the acceleration of tiles spawning seem okay? How about the length of the game? What score did you end up with?

Anyway, thanks for checking it out!

2 Likes

Hi, I've played the matching game a few times the past couple of games. I realize though I was always playing on the "small board" and only briefly tried the large board. I got 1788 or 20 matches just now, my high score. Performance is great for the small board, but when I tried the large board it lagged quite a bit. I think the gameplay / matching is good!

I think the length of the game was good, I think the board could start with more tiles. I had some adjustment to the gameplay, such as that I swapped with a tile when I moved, and how I can't move to the end of the board took some getting used to. Towards the end I had the most success just making lines of four versus more complex shapes. I'd recommend having blank tiles be blank, I initially saw the four X pattern as a tile pattern to match.

Having only played the small board, I think a smaller board would go over well. Another recommendation is a second game mode where the goal is to clear the board as fast as possible. I think as-is the game is very good, the second game mode would add nice variety.

1 Like

Can't believe I never really responded to this.

Thanks so much for playing, (and especially for posting your response), Garrett.

My opinions and findings match-up almost exactly with yours. I had a lot of different ideas for modes, and even have a "clear everything" mode coded up, but I never did another build and don't even have that version on my Playdate.

I think I just got pulled in different directions, and never really returned to this project. I only even turned on my playdate a couple of times in 2023, but that's changed recently, and I might return to this, I'm not sure.

1 Like