This is great, thank you. I have played the first level several times and it’s great fun drifting and turning already. And that’s a high compliment seeing as I’ve just spent the evening playing the beautiful art of rally on PC.
I noticed a couple of things and am curious if they’re unique to my device / installation:
Sometimes even though I am pushing A and other buttons, the game won’t respond, as if all input is turned off.
On another occasion, the car suddenly stopped and no button presses made a difference. I had to wait a few seconds and eventually the game let me accelerate/turn again.
Selecting “next stage” gave me a “cannot resume dead coroutine” error screen a few times but I just tried it again and it’s suddenly working.
Hope this is helpful in some way?
Cannot wait to see where you take it next. Now, if you excuse me, I’ll return to playing it now.
Finally! Back on it after a bit of a break. 0.11.x was not kind to my game.
First draft of weight transfer is in, so the car nose raises during acceleration and dips during braking. Coupled with the existing left and right tilt during turning, the cars have never felt more alive - the visual feedback really adds something extra, even with this test/unretouched rendered sprite.
From here I want to finesse this it a little bit more, so that cars level out after the initial acceleration/braking.
There’s a timer if you want to try to hit all the cones (it will stop when they’re all hit).
Or create your own routes and do them as fast as possible.
BUT, since this demo there are now many objectives of different types, plus a freestyle mode where you can just skid around the screen with no goal. I have played with the idea of a gesture recogniser but… probably not.
One of the challenges I’m wrestling with is how to represent the path around the cones in that mode - whether to use numbers, or arrows, or a “next gate” marker, or… something else. Fun to figure this stuff out!
In preparation for regenerating my many cars with x3 the number of sprites, I thought I’d try to sort the rendered frames automatically into named folders because this is fiddly manual work I really don’t enjoy, and a bit of a bottleneck in my asset generation. For each pose I have to render the frames then group the new image files into a folder that describes that pose, as these multiple folders are later be used for batch processing.
I could use macOS Folder Actions for this, but I’ve been using an app called Hazel for many years to do this sort of thing, so that was my first choice.
The hard work is done with a shell script, as I’m quite comfortable writing those.
get most recently saved .scad file
parse filename to capture car name
parse file contents for left/right/forward/backward tilt values
concatenate all this information as our new folder name
create new folder
move matching file into new folder
This means that the folder name will change based on the render settings in the file — perfect!
“The car’s the star”, as they say, so I have sunk untold hours into both the physics and graphics of many different cars to ensure that the depth of control and animation is enough to hold a players interest for the time I hope they will spend with my game. There’s no final vehicle line-up, as often some cars don’t look unique enough after the first rough model is tested in the game. But these two are keepers!
Interestingly, both these vehicles show off one aspect of the game that I’ve not really talked about so far: reference and nods to classic games. Here we can see an RC car (whose antenna wobbles!) that is a nod to games like Re-volt, RC Revenge, Smash Cars, RC de Go!, Excite Truck, RC Pro-Am etc. And the forklift is a nod to Shenmue and the infamous New Yokosuka Harbor District.
I forgot to post my logo tests from December in this thread. These actually aren’t used in the game exactly like this but that’s a post for another day.
English uses Futura Bold Oblique.
Japanese uses a custom typeface of my own.
Influenced by all the old Japanese PC magazines I’ve read and games I’ve played/swooned at over the years.