Matt's Prototypes

I remember wanting to play Daily Driver after the first Playdate Update. As a racing game fan, I can totes vibe with this. Looking forward to more things from you!

1 Like

I know this is an old post but… Did you ever make headway on making this Paper Plane demo into a full game? I started making a similar game à la the WarioWare minigame of the same name but yours definitely has more of a Playdate feel!

1 Like

The Paper Plane is one of the vehicles/scenarios in my game Daily Driver. You can try it out in the demo, there's a link at the bottom of the first post.

I really enjoyed the Nintendo plane game (on DSi Ware and in Wario Ware) so you should carry on with your version!

Nintendo Paper Plane and Macintosh Glider were my inspirations for adding one to my game.

1 Like

I've updated the Daily Driver (Demo) on itch:

• default crank style is now “constant”, which is what it should have been!
  • readme has been updated to better describe the controls

This is only of interest if you've been struggling with controls.
You can set crank style to "constant" yourself through the debug menu.

• This incorrect default crank control setting has been there since August 2021. :man_facepalming:
  • Note to self: always check a release after wiping saved settings.
2 Likes

Here's a sample of clipping a sprite to make a progress bar, for
https://devforum.play.date/t/how-to-create-a-progress-bar/6321/5:

Note: I highly recommend optimising before deciding to do a loading progress bar!

Source: progress.lua.zip (13.3 KB)
PDX: progress.pdx.zip (25.5 KB)

progress-dither

progress-snake

3 Likes

A quick prototype turned into a single day game jam for me, myself and I.

4 Likes

Another prototype and a week of work has resulted in a new game: Circular

I've got a vibe going with these arcade games that I'll keep using in future.

3 Likes

I'm working on a game inspired by one of the greatest arcade shooters of all time.

My game will be different, as I don't see the point in remaking the greats, but will be something along the same lines (pun intended).

Working title: Cosmic Trash

got the stage drawing
web

and moving
move

had a problem with rotating
rot

but fixed that
rott

experimenting with thicker lines and vanishing point
vp

...I plan to code my own line algorithm so i can draw lines with a dithered gradient from solid to black.

7 Likes

More work needed on this. I'll use a lookup table to avoid all the calculations because right now it's slow.

gradient

8 Likes

After optimisations my gradient lines are drawing at 40fps on device, but I don't think they should be that expensive. So I'll be proceeding with solid lines and will come back to these gradient lines at a later time. It's important not to loose momentum!

1 Like

Of course i kept going with it :grimacing:

New gradient line drawing technique is super fast and shows that it's polygon drawing the ends where I'm losing speed. I plan to convert them into pre-rendered sprites and aim to do most polygon math only once on init.

3 Likes

Since last time no work on the above.

I've been working on Sparrow Solitaire with @madvogel

Out of which sprang an animation editor. I'll work that up to a more general app after Sparrow is out.

7 Likes

A truly dire two months for me IRL, but I'm now back at it.

https://gingerbeardman.itch.io/prototypes-for-playdate/devlog/430885/new-prototype-zen

For some reason I felt the need to make this weird “zen garden” sand moving thing for Playdate.

Only pixels under the cursor are processed: temporarily activated as sprites and destroyed when they go out of range.

Will probably end up as another unfinished prototype. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Controls

• A/B to rake in direction of crank
  • D-pad to move cursor without raking

zen.opt

11 Likes

Glad to see you face around Matt.

1 Like

The amount and creativity of these prototypes, so amazing!

1 Like

Thank you! Very much appreciated.

just wanted to stop in and say thanks for all the useful info you've contributed to the forum, recently your benchmark thread helped me confirm I wasn't losing my mind when I ran into some surprising results (if you're curious, I was slightly surprised how much slower drawing to an image via pushContext/etc vs direct :draw() calls are; I had been curious if one could effectively batch by writing to a blank image and only send to screen once as an optimization)

2 Likes

This looks awesome!! I've been thinking about what a good fit Tempest would be for Playdate's crank. I definitely look forward to seeing more of this project.

1 Like

Yesterday evening I learned of a new indie game for X68000, called Ball und Panzer Golf. In it you control a little tank and blast balls around a single screen golf course. There is more to it than that, including unique controls and rules, and high scoring mechanisms that can be discovered.

Anyway, this afternoon I played it and it was great fun! A really nice arcade high score chaser.

It seemed doable on Playdate so I set myself a goal of making it quickly. So far it's going well.

All game graphics are drawn using shapes and dither patterns, well, except the font.

This is from 4pm to midnight with a break for dinner.

"Just" collision, scoring and some additional animation remaining to be done.

cycle

2 Likes

I'm keeping a dev log over on the Playdate Squad Discord server: https://discord.com/channels/675983554655551509/1120322070220394537

1 Like