Matt's Prototypes

I wrote up Week 1 in a blog post: https://blog.gingerbeardman.com/2023/06/26/ball-und-panzer-golf-week-1/

The first weeks of development of a game are my favourite. Creating something from nothing, bringing it up.

That's probably why I have too many prototypes and unfinished games. Hmm.

Colour Playdate games!?!

And just added to the dev log: wind direction shown by a flapping flag and waves on water.

windylake

4 Likes

A little playground for testing pixel logic patterns.

3 Likes

Thats so cool. I Love these patterns.

1 Like

Those patterns are mega cool!

1 Like

I will get back to Tank Golf soon.

But since then, I've been busy enough:

A flash card, presentation and interactive fiction app.

And a viewer for some old interactive web experiences by my favourite Macintosh artist: Thoru Yamamoto.

molehole

Early Demo Download
molehole.pdx.zip (46.4 KB)

5 Likes

Work in Progress

• Ball und Panzer Golf
  • Mole Hole
  • Shark Turtle

Recently released

New

datediff-xmas

2 Likes

Lots you are creating, which is great! What's Shark Turtle about?

Good question! It's a version of a well known puzzle game that is as old as Tetris (but not Tetris).

It's been done for a long time, but I want to give it a more interesting graphical theme... then procrastination set in.

1 Like

Neat stuff as always!

(Graphics are the WAY I procrastinate about everything else that makes a game happen…)

YOYOZO, my homage to the 1999 Japanese cult classic Pendulumania.

4 Likes

Game is finished, just polishing some things.

Like this new game over sequence where you can watch the path of your ball throughout the previous game.

tracer2

4 Likes

Love it! You are fast!

2 Likes

I find the creativity usually comes in waves, so you have try be ready to catch the wave!

2 Likes

I'm on the fence about this one at the moment as the maths is quite difficult (i'm not so great at advanced maths) and in order for me to want to progress the prototype would need to be manageable and well structure and so far it's neither :crazy_face: plus i have a lot going on at the moment

I'm thinking Macintosh classic Pararena meets Beyblade, with crank controls first and foremost.

paramove

after some twiddling (all drawn in code)

parabowl.opt

8 Likes

Oh man, Pararena. That takes me back.

One could avoid a fair chunk of math by leaving the collision detection/restitution to something like Chipmunk; then you'd just need to manage the player- and dish-induced forces. Unless you're planning on going full sicko mode and modeling the ball spin, since a dense ball definitely acts a bit differently than a sliding body.

Tilt controls might also be a lot of fun. Tilt-versus-crank versus play, though, probably a bit much.

1 Like

The math that's slightly wrong is the pull/gravity down the side of the bowl.

I will come back to it, but not for a while.

The formulas are quite simple, I suppose they'd have to be to run on a classic Macintosh, so I'll keep it all in Lua.

I do have a plan for more physics games in future, maybe I'll use Chipmunk for one of those.

Will come back to the Parabowl game.

For the last couple of days I've been working quickly on an entry in the Yellow Square Jam that finishes tomorrow. This is my first game jam in I don't know how long.

weird.opt

3 Likes

Looking good! Cant wait to try it out!

1 Like

Latest from me

And related blog post.

3 Likes