Mirror crashes when trying to record screen capture

• Mirror 1.1.0
  • Windows 10 22H2

Every time I click the "Begin Screen Capture" button Mirror just closes without an error message. It will show a "loading" cursor for half a second and then crash. "Save last 30 seconds" also has the same problem.
Otherwise Mirror seems to work fine. The screen from the Playdate is shown correctly, audio can be heard and I can use the controls.

It does not seem to make a difference which app is running on the Playdate.

Here is the error report in eventvwr (in German unfortunately):

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: Mirror.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x6581fd94
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: avformat-60.dll, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x653bfa7f
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x000000000002eef9
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x41a0
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01da6285db8b949b
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\Mirror\Mirror.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Program Files\Mirror\avformat-60.dll
Berichtskennung: e7757faf-4345-470d-ac8b-1edf139c82fe
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: 
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist: 

Error code and offset seem to be the same for every crash.

Thanks for the report, at first blush I can't reproduce this on Windows 11, but I'll look into it on 10. Thanks again.

Hi Will,

I don't know exactly what avformat-60.dll does, but quick googling tells me it has something to do with reading and writing video files. So it might try to access the hard drive.
What is the default folder Mixer tries to write the screen captures to? Or what is the temporary location it writes to while recording? (if it does that)

I have an inkling it might be something in %userprofile% or %HOMEPATH% (i.e. C:\Users...).
If it is, that might be the source of the problem, because my home folder contains both a space and a non-ASCII symbol (ä).
Maybe this is something you can try on a dummy user account on your end.

You guess it! The unicode character is causing the crash. You can specify the capture location in the preferences to avoid saving to a unicode path until a fix comes out. Thanks for the hint!

I found the setting for the capture location and now it works! Totally missed that one.
Thanks!