Monospace 5x8 font designed for "easy" readablity

I wanted a fairly small font that was also readable, and I also wanted monospacing, but without it looking too boring - maybe a bit whimsical. After fiddling with sizes, I found I could get something reasonable looking with with 5x8 pixels.

Here is what I came up with:

You can download it from here:

And if you see anything that could be improved, feel free to create a pull request.

This is free for you to use. You are welcome to credit me, but it is totally not required.

4 Likes

I submitted a PR so that it can be easily used as an asset toybox. Font looks cool!

1 Like

Well, that is really cool. A package manager for playdate projects :slight_smile:

Thanks for letting me know about it and turning the repo into a library for it.

No problem. It's a good example to show how toyboxes can just bring assets in, instead of code.

I updated the font with some new characters:

And also added a double sized version of it the fontset (10x16pixels). It is identical to the 5x8 version, but the pixels are doubled in width and height. This is good for titles and such.

Don't forget to add tags to your repo with semver version numbers (i.e. 1.0.2) that way users of the toy box can get it updated automatically when you post updates!

1 Like

Did someone say tiny font?

It should be noted that on both of the games I made that used the 5x8 font, it ended up too small to be easily readable on the physical device, even though fine in the simulator. I recommend just using the 10x16.

I am thinking of making 8x12 font next to create a bit of an in between.

1 Like

Very cool. I recently created an 8x14 mono font, with similar legibility aims, for a little visual debugging library I made called Acetate. The font of the same name is available in the GitHub repo, and comes in 3 weights with both standard and condensed variants.

Here's a sample:

I would love it if there was a good place for everyone to share their playdate-compatible fonts.

5 Likes