My First Playdate Tutorial!

Hey guys :wave:t2:

I finally got the okay to start creating and posting video tutorials for the Playdate!

Here is a link to the first one: https://youtu.be/LiCJF4TfWno

Please let me know what you think!
Also, I'd love to hear any feedback.

Thanks!
-Rhett Thompson

2 Likes

Hi Rhett, can you tell us why you needed to comment out the Corelibs/graphics line when building for Windows? Was there an error message during compilation?

Hi james,
Yes there was an error.

Here is a screenshot of it:

And I tried putting the full file path, but that didn't help:

Any ideas?
Also, I understand that this line is supposed to import the library, but since it built fine without does that mean the library is imported by default?

can you tell me the following?

• the path to your SDK folder
  • the contents of build.bat

Sure thing!

SDK path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Playdate

build.bat:

@echo off

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Playdate"
call ".\bin\pdc.exe" %0\..\HelloWorld %0\..\HelloWorld.pdx

echo Done!
pause

Let me know if there is anything else you need!

Ok thanks, check out the README in the SDK folder. It says that the compiler (pdc) need to have the SDK path passed in as a parameter.

pdc.exe -sdkpath <path to the SDK> <input folder> <output folder>

Try that out and let me know if it makes a difference. Iā€™m puzzled over why your script compiled without error when the corelibs line is commented out.

Putting the -sdkpath worked!

But I am curious about the corelibs issue too.
I can actually also compile on Mac without import "CoreLibs/graphics".
Is that going to be an issue? Is there some sort of auto import for the graphics lib?

the playdate.graphics table exists without importing corelibs/graphics because some of the graphics functions are written in C.

mine works just fine on PC like this:

import "CoreLibs/graphics"

1 Like

Thank you so much for that. I'm going to need it :slight_smile: Still mocking up things in Photoshop at the moment but Panic guys were kind enough to give me access to the SDK recently and I can't wait to get going for real .

3 Likes