PDFXR - make sound effects for your games!

Hi all!

I just released PDFXR. It's a user-friendly UI for Playdate's synth API allowing you to create cool procedural retro sound effects for your games. You save them as JSON to your Playdate device, and then import them into your project and play them back with a simple lua API I supply with the project.

It's free / donationware :slight_smile:

Have fun! Let me know if you have feedback or comments!

21 Likes

Wow, really nice - and useful!

2 Likes

Neat—thanks!

(I approve of the bold fonts and strokes!)

1 Like

Hi

Trying to open this on my MacBook Air M1. My simulator is version 2.4.2.

dlopen(/Users/rajdeepsingha/Downloads/PDFXR.pdx/pdex.dylib, 0x0006): tried: '/Users/rajdeepsingha/Downloads/PDFXR.pdx/pdex.dylib' (mach-o file, but is an incompatible architecture (have 'x86_64', need 'arm64e' or 'arm64')), '/System/Volumes/Preboot/Cryptexes/OS/Users/rajdeepsingha/Downloads/PDFXR.pdx/pdex.dylib' (no such file), '/Users/rajdeepsingha/Downloads/PDFXR.pdx/pdex.dylib' (mach-o file, but is an incompatible architecture (have 'x86_64', need 'arm64e' or 'arm64'))

Any help on how to solve this?

I'm afraid I haven't compiled for modern macs as my mac is Intel silicon! You'll have to run it on the device for now I'm afraid.

Come to think of it, the app uses some C functions to draw the readouts. But this isn't a problem on the simulator. So that could be lua-only. I'll see about it.

1 Like

Oh bummer, I don't have the device yet. Anyways, thanks for the quick response.

I'll have a look now

Okay, I tried out my plan and it didn't work. But I can produce a new version that works in the simulator if you delete the dylib from inside the PDX. I'll release it asap.

Hi Rajdeep,
Please try the new version I just uploaded which should run in the simulator.
Cheers
Alex

2 Likes

it works now. Thank you so much!!!

1 Like

Hi there! Dude, @AlexMay infinite thanks for bringing this to us, it's an extraordinary tool, I've been giving it a shot yesterday even without reading the manual and it is awesome man, thank you very much.

Excellent tool for us who are trying to make some games for the PD :muscle:

1 Like

Ahh! Thanks so much!! Glad you like it!