Steps to reproduce
- Open any app on the Playdate
- Connect my USB cable (not the original, hard to reproduce, I know)
- Playdate doesn’t show up in simulator
- Switch from the app to the main menu (via home in system menu)
- Playdate crashes (crashlog below)
- Playdate immediately shows up in simulator after the crash (no restart needed)
- I’m using macOS Ventura 13.5.2.
- Playdate and SDK are up to date.
- Multiple other USB cables work fine on this Mac.
- The cable is USB-C to USB-C and directly connected to both devices.
- After the crash everything works as expected but if I disconnect I have to crash the Playdate again to use it. I’m calling the cable Crash Override now.
--- crash at 2023/09/14 05:36:33---
r0:00000001 r1:00000001 r2:00045400 r3: 40012c00
r12:00003fe0 lr:080356a7 pc:0803565c psr: 21000000
cfsr:00020000 hfsr:40000000 mmfar:00000000 bfar: 00000000
heap allocated: 0
Lua totalbytes=0 GCdebt=0 GCestimate=0 stacksize=0
Do you happen to know the exact model of cable you're using?
It says "RC15H" and "VIETNAM" on it but that’s it and I don’t remember how I got it.
It's definitely picky about cables (or chargers?). When I initially received it, it wouldn't wake up from dead when I tried charging it with the same cable that I charge everything else with (cable and charger both came with the Google Pixel, so it wasn't some cheap crap). But as soon as I used the yellow cable, it woke up fine.
And afterwards, charging with my regular equipment suddenly worked fine as well.
Curious, I used my pixel 4a cable and it took a while to wake up, but I thought that was expected since the battery needed initial charging.
@RDK not sure if a fix is worth pursuing, your cable might just not be up to standards?
Another approach would be adding some warning to the device manual
If the device could sense a cable was inserted but not performing correctly then it could report the situation or incompatible cable on screen.
The main reason I did report this is that the cable works perfectly fine after the crash. It looks to me like the issue is more on the Playdate side (though maybe not exclusively).