After finding Playnote Studio I was inspired to make something that would actually allow me author animations on-device. So this week I threw together a little prototype of a pixel art animation toy called Pocket Pix!
Here's a time lapse of me making an (uninspired) animation of a bouncy ball:
And the final animation:
This app still needs some work, but I thought I'd share a prototype to see how many people are interested in such a toy, and gather any early feedback!
Features on my todo list:
- a tool bar of tools/settings/commands
- selection rectangle
- move selection or whole frame
- some implementation of a fill tool
- auto playback, without onion skinning
- a menu system for browsing your collection "pix"
- onion skin setting (before, after, both, off)
- toggle pixel grid (with major grid lines?)
- invert colors so you can do white on black and have onion skinning
- export frames as pngs
- DPAD to move cursor around
- HOLD B + DPAD to move the cursor around faster
- PRESS B to open the animation timeline
- PRESS A to paint a pixel at the cursor. The pixel color is the opposite of what's current under the cursor.
- HOLD A + DPAD to continuously pain the same color
- CRANK to cycle thru frames/play animation
pocket-pix_0-1-0.pdx.zip (22.7 KB)