Prototype for a Myst like game

@okacat hi Oskar. This game still haunts me :ghost:

Also, coincidentally I've written a sort-of Myst-like game engine for my latest project, which I'd be happy for you to use - no strings attached - if you wanted to concentrate on the game design and rendering?

My engine takes folders of images, sounds and music, and a simple configuration/definition file that describes each screen connects everything together.

5 Likes

Is the engine on GitHub?

No, I'm still working on it. There'll be my game and one other using it and after that it should be in good enough shape for wider release.

More info at Playdate Squad Discord https://discord.com/channels/675983554655551509/1138236658538532884

3 Likes

Hi Matt

That's a generous offer! I got a bit stuck on game design and readability though, while the engine I have so far is fairly there. Seems to be my general struggle where I power through the engine and setup bits, but get stuck later on. I also have some Blender scripts as well that work together with the engine, so I think I'll stick with it for now.

Thank you for the offer though! And it's motivating to hear someone thinks about this game still :slight_smile:

5 Likes

No worries! I implore you to finish it. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Have you thought of using cel shading in blender? Giving all your foreground objects a black border would really make them stand out and allow you to make colour / contrast decisions that would otherwise clash (e.g. similar shades in foreground / background objects blending together).