Pulp doesn't scrub invalid characters when exporting the PDX, which breaks online sideloading

Pulp doesn't scrub invalid characters when exporting the PDX, which breaks online sideloading.

My game title has a colon ( : ) in it, and when I click "Download PDX" I get this:
(.zip filename at the top, but the zipped folder inside keeps the colon in the title)

If I extract the folder myself the colon goes away automatically, but I'm assuming this is Windows removing it since it's not a valid character for a file/folder name.

I can then re-zip the folder and all works as intended, so it's seemingly just the folder name that Pulp spits out that is the problem. The actual game name, or pdx info, or anything like that does not need changed.

It'd be nice if Pulp did this automatically on export, because it's adding unnecessary steps to getting the game onto your playdate, where other games without a special character in the title can just go straight from "Download PDX" to "Sideload."

EDIT: I should probably add the actual error here lol

3 Likes

Confirmed on Linux, by unzipping a valid Pulp PDX, renaming the folder to contain a colon, rezipping and uploading - same result as above.

I'll file an issue for this. Thanks for letting us know about the problem!

3 Likes