Pulp web vs sdk simulator bug you found

If you found bug between sdk and pulp just notice that here !

Hello @shaun and all playdate team.
Just found a bug when I try my pulp game that work and the web browser simulator but not with the sdk simulator
Because I use str addition that are available on pulp

str ="he"
str +="llo"
log "{str}"

Will output: hello in pulp web browser simulator but the next error in sdk simulator

loaded pdz in 6ms

caching bitmaps...

using frames.pdt

using pipe.pdt

using chars.pdt

ready in 14ms

**attempt to add a 'string' with a 'string'**

stack traceback:

[C]: in metamethod 'add'

?: in function <?:1280>

(...tail calls...)

?: in function <?:1331>

(...tail calls...)

?: in upvalue '?'

?: in field '?'

?: in function <?:3644>

attempt to add a 'string' with a 'string'

stack traceback:

[C]: in metamethod 'add'

?: in function <?:1280>

(...tail calls...)

?: in function <?:1331>

(...tail calls...)

?: in field '?'

?: in function <?:3644>

I really love that my pdx file create with pulp made it to the Playdate SDK and after to the playdate console !

2 Likes

Thanks for the bug report. Adding strings to concatenate is not a PulpScript feature but rather default JavaScript behavior bleeding through to the web runtime. To combine strings in PulpScript you would do something like:

str = "he"
str = "{str}llo"
log "{str}"
1 Like

It work thank you !

I have a new one my guest might be about swap "white" that arrive at a rate of between 1 and 20 frames on webplayer but I'm not sure of the frame rate max of the simulator so that the check isn't done enough...
I'm really not sure

Otherwise I hack pulp system for do more then 400 check (I'll might explain how in sometime) in a while... it work slower on the simulator then the web simulator...
does the emulator have comparable performance with the playdate console?

No, the simulator is much faster than the hardware.

Impossible the playdate is like powerful as
Unknown-1
for me

@shaun
Hmmm, I think I need advice for memory gestion so
For 120 persona you memorize I didn't wanted to create 120 to memories on the playdate because I thought more about memory then performance I guess

a created chunk of string as 0 and 1 that represent encounter of not

So I create some kind of algorithm that work for memory reconstruction from string and tile replacement in the room and I bring the new string in memory (I'll be posting soon more about it on a post about Play Ski) that was a way simulate your encounter opponent in a room as the oppotile if encounter and a ? if not encoontered

this algo I call RTRM (random tile reacesss memory) is base on 0,1 word chunk that are save on memory and randomly reconstruct ...

work Ok in the browser / Slow on the sdk emulator / should be not working on hardware I guess

I have to redo the way of memory work on my game
Could the playdate memory could handle more then 150 variable in memory (one each per opponent)?
How much the playdate can store variable that been save?