Thanks for the nice words, and I'm glad you're enjoying it!
This list of feedback is incredibly helpful.
- During new song creation, after naming it: the user is dropped into a menu to choose whether to play/edit/rename/etc. Since the song is going to be "empty", it might make sense to drop directly into editing mode?
Agreed, that would be a bit smoother.
- It would be nice to be able to step the song in "Play" mode using the DPAD (identical to how it works in edit mode)
The crank is much more fun though But yeah there is no good reason not to allow it.
- It would be nice to be able to edit the length of a song. I made a few very short songs that have emptiness that needs to be wound through before starting over again, or some were too long and I ran out of space to finish them up nicely. That said; having the length constraint can be handy for forcing creativity...
A few people brought this up already. It's a question of how "realistic" this music box should be in the end. After all, there is only a limited number of pins that fit on the barrel and it would be weird if there are hundreds of steps. (Though to be fair, I already cheated a little bit. There are 48 steps with 10 degree increments each, so the barrel wraps around 1 + 1/3 times around... )
Just allowing shorter songs is probably the more likely outcome, but I'm still considering both options.
- It would be nice to have an auto-play feature so I could keep a song playing without needing to crank that crank.
* If you wanted to get fancy with this; "autoplay mode" could require "winding" the crank to get the player going, and it could slow down in playback speed over time. E.g.: behave like a physical wind-up music box
My initial instinct would be to not have an auto-play feature. But I like that windup idea is so much that I'll have to add it I think
- Is the numbering structure strictly required, or could I use a custom name for the text file?
* Ultimately what I am getting at is: whether or not there would be an easy way to create and share songs that wouldn't require people to rename the file on disk to be appropriately "numbered"
Yeah the idea is that sharing would be very easy by exchanging the files. But it's not as smooth as it could be. (Sidenote: networking functionality would be a great addition to the SDK....) The "automatic numbering" happens every time the game is started and just helps with defining a clear ordering for everything. With arbitrary filenames, each song needs to track somehow its position in the song list. I'll try to revisit this process in a future update. For now, it should be perfectly save to drop in new files with any name, and it will just rename them to follow the automatic convention.
- While renaming a song, using the crank to scroll through the keyboard also moves selection in the menu
Ah nice catch. There's so many corner cases of different inputs and menus
It's fixed in the latest 1.0.4 release.
In any case, here's a little tune I made: 0014.txt.zip (560 Bytes)
Thanks for sharing, I like it!
I'm currently super busy with other things and won't have free time to work on any new features until the very end of January. But this really motivates me to keep working on this for a bit longer.
Btw: I'm also planning an option to "tune" the individual notes so you won't be quite so restricted in the type of songs you can create.