Simulator upload to device, "Waiting for Disk" step takes a long time

Does the problem persist after rebooting?

Also, do you have access to another Mac? If the problem happens there too, then we'll know it's something to do with your Playdate and we can go from there.

A reboot didn't help, actually it seemed to make it slower (but this issue is very inconsistent already). I'm also noticing it takes a long time for the Finder to recognize the external disk when I boot to data disk mode manually (without the Simulator), so I'm sure that's related. I ran the "Disk Utility" first aid feature on the PLAYDATE volume, and as a result the mounting seemed faster, but I still have the OSStatus Error -47 when the SDK unmounts to run the game.

I also did a fresh install of the SDK on my work Macbook which has very similar specs and has almost the same config/suite of apps as my personal computer, and I didn't see the issue there at all. Very strange. I guess it's not a device issue? I guess the problem wasn't happening on my personal computer initially either, when I first installed the SDK several months ago. It only started within the last couple of weeks.

OK, one last desperate stab: are you plugging your Playdate into your computer directly, or through a hub (this includes keyboards or monitors with USB ports)? If so, see if a direct connection improves things.

I always use direct connection, USB-C to USB-C

Interestingly, my work laptop is now also taking a very long time to recognize the Playdate data disk, and I don't think anything other that the passage of time changed on my end. Either earlier tests were flukes or I'm just experiences wild inconsistencies. I wonder if I'm the only one with this issue?

Have you tried a different USB cable by any chance? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to rule out easy fixes.

Also, to clarify, are you seeing the -47 error on the work laptop as well, or is slow mounting the only problem there?

I wonder if somehow your Playdate filesystem has become corrupt?

If this is the case on macOS it does a fsck-like repair after the device has been connected (device shows in diskutil) but before it is mounted (icon appears on desktop). You'd be able to see messages about this in your macOS system log.

1 Like

Yes I have tried different USB cables. And the -47 error only appears on my personal computer. The work machine doesn't have that one (yet).

And thanks @matt for that tip. I looked in the system logs and am not sure which log files are relevant, but I do notice a pattern of this message in the fsck_hfs.log file:

/dev/rdisk4s2: fsck_hfs started at Thu Aug 18 16:30:46 2022
/dev/rdisk4s2: /dev/rdisk4s2: ** /dev/rdisk4s2 (NO WRITE)
/dev/rdisk4s2:    Executing fsck_hfs (version hfs-583.100.10).
QUICKCHECK ONLY; FILESYSTEM CLEAN
/dev/rdisk4s2: fsck_hfs completed at Thu Aug 18 16:30:46 2022

This message repeats a lot and the timestamps seem to match up with when I was mounting/unmounting the device, but I haven't yet been able to replicate the log line while keeping track of what exactly I'm doing when it occurs.

Also from what I can tell, the Playdate appears in the disk util at the same time it is mounted in the Finder/desktop. Do you have any ideas on what I can search for directly in the logs to tell if it's disk corruption issue?

Hi I have the same issue with an iMac M1 connecting the Playdate via a dongle to the usb.
This problems seems to start happening after trying to delete some long files generated with the emulator and transferred to the playdate. The Playdate was unable to delete the files and they stay corrupted inside the consol memory.
Not sure if this has been the cause, but I can't delete those files I mentioned and now the 'waiting for disk' message appears every time I tried to connect the Playdate to the Mac and takes several minutes to transfer even short files.
Any idea?

Are you on Ventura, by chance? We've seen some performance degradation there when using the Finder to transfer or delete files on the device. We're still not sure what's going on or if there will be a way around it, other than using Terminal.app to copy and delete files without all of Finder's metadata nonsense. :confused:

Was this ever solved? M1 mbp/Ventura here, when it worked I got a long 'waiting for disk', but I've only gotten it work once, now I just get the long waiting for disk, and THEN I get "Unmount: The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -36.) (null)" in the console.

@tacoe I get the same error message (-36), which seems to be a failure to unmount the device, but my game was successfully uploaded to the device, so I've just been ignoring the error and pressing A to return to the Home screen.

I used to have this issue but after upgrading to macOS 13.2, the error suddenly disappeared.

1 Like

After upgrading to 13.2, it worked the first time I uploaded to device, but after that I am still seeing the long "waiting for disk" loader and then OSSStatus error -47. It copies the PDX over correctly, just fails to unmount and launch the game automatically. So like @adamkuert, I typically just press A and start the game myself. However, the finder complains every time I do this for not ejecting properly.

My personal experience with long “waiting for disk” times is that it seems to be fixed if I have the device info (command-D on a Mac) window open, so I always try to open that in the simulator before uploading. I am not seeing any errors after uploading though, so this might not be the exact same problem. Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, how long is everyone else "waiting for disk"? I see that message for about 20-25 seconds every time I upload a game to my device followed by about 5 seconds of actual file compiling and uploading, and then I get the error -36. Is that a normal about of time to wait for a game to upload to the device?

It's quicker than that for me. And no error.

I'm using macOS Monterey and either the original cable plugged into a hub or a usb-c to usb-c (that came with an external SSD) plugged direct into my Mac.

Are you using the original cable? What port on what computer?

Do you see the device listed in Disk Utility before it appears in Finder/Desktop? Why is mentioned above

Does a reboot change anything?

I'm running Ventura (13.1) and I'm using the original cable plugged directly into my intel-based iMac (2020). I've tried using a different cable, different port and a hub.

The device appears in Disk Utility about 12-13 seconds after I start the upload and appears in Finder at the same time the compiling and uploading actually begins (20-25s).

I only see a single log containing "fsck": "fsck status 0 /dev/rdisk2s1".

Restarting my computer and the device had no affect. I have not tried a factory reset.

1 Like

Please update to Ventura 13.2.x which seems to fix the -36 error and may fix other issues around slow mounting that appeared in Ventura.

1 Like

Thanks @willco! Updating to 13.2.x resolved the -36 error and reduced the disk mounting time to about 10s.

3 Likes