Snapshot or export feature for Sampler

I've been doing a lot of performance testing, and usually I can just eyeball the Sampler or graphs in Device Info. However sometimes I want to actually quantify the delta to see how effective my optimizations are. Usually I resort adding timers in code, but it would be nice if the tooling supported this!

My two ideas for this are:

1. Add a snapshot feature to the Sampler, and allow two snapshots to be compared similar to Unity's Profile Analyzer. Screenshot for quick reference:
  2. Add an option to export data, so that it could fed it into another tool for analysis to accomplish #1.
2 Likes

In the Mac sim there's an "Export..." button in the lower right of the Sampler window that writes the sample data to disk. I don't have a Windows or Linux machine to test on, but I don't see anything like that in the source code over there. I'll ask Will to check that out.

As for adding something like the above in the simulator.. I did start on a comparison tool back when I first implemented the simulator, where you could select one range in the timeline, hold option/alt and select a different range and it'd compare the two. I'm not entirely sure why I never finished that, if it was a distraction from more important work or I ran into a UI dead end. Probably a bit of both. I'll see about revisiting that, see if it's worth the trouble.

2 Likes

Ahhh, looks like the Windows version is missing it then - unless I'm blind :see_no_evil:

I'll keep an eye on the change logs, thanks for the update!

1 Like

Is adding that export button to Windows still something that's planned?

Heya just wanted to poke this thread again. I'm working thru some performance issues in my game and being able to export this data would be extremely helpful for analysis! Mainly just looking for the export button to be added which is available on Mac.

Thanks for the reminder, it's in the tracker but low priority. I'll see if I can get to it soon.

2 Likes

Saving profile runs was added to SDK 2.3 to Windows/Linux.

1 Like