(not sure if this is specific to my setup)
- Use Bluetooth headphones
- Listen to music eg, Apple Music on macOS
- Run Simulator
- as Simulator launches: audio dips
- when audio comes back it is mono, lower quality
- quit Simulator
- as Simulator quits: audio dips
- when audio comes back it is stereo, full quality
This seems to have been a side effect of my input being set to Bluetooth mic.
I could also get the change to mono to happen by doing a screen recording with mic input audio, so not involving any Playdate SDK software at all.
I guess when the Simulator launches it somehow triggers mic input permissions?
- set input to computer built-in mic