'Under The Tree', Tech Demo 0.1

Almost ready for Beta, i18n in-progress:

1 Like

Had to rework the font, wasn't happy with it (basically rebuilt it by hand):

A couple of months more until Beta, I think... a few features left to do, presently roughing-in UI space constraints for i18n before handing off for translation (forgive the 'developer japanese', working on getting things professionally done, but needed to work out UI physical constraints first) - video [here].(Dropbox - utt_hiragana_integration_wip.mp4 - Simplify your life)

2 Likes

Doing a playthrough of the last 3 Dungeon levels (in Japanese, to zap two Harpies with one stone, of course) - Kumba art for surprise chest unlock seen first time in Simulator made me go O.O:

After 22 months of Tengu/Kumba evenings and weekends, Under The Tree (UTT) is (finally!) now in (internal) Beta.

There is still some Dungeon artwork pending, but placeholders are already there and just need to be swapped out as Kumba Cintiq's (I love verbing nouns) away at things. tl;dr - we're essentially 'feature complete'.

There's still some technical work still to do that isn't related to game source (~40K non-commented lines), as there are some C components in the codebase and we won't launch until Playdate SDK 2.0 is ready/stable and I have access to (Group 5!) an actual Rev B / OS 2.x configuration to confirm that once built with SDK 2.0 that UTT will run on both REV A (w/OS 2.x) and REV B hardware.

3 Likes

TWO POINT OH

utt_playdate_os2_icon_picklist_animation

3 Likes

'box art' (courtesy Kumbamonster):

2 Likes

Getting there... very close (repost from PD Discord 'show and tell'):

(sung to the tune of 'Bicycle Race' by Queen):

I want to be on Catalog, I want to be there there soon.
I want to be on Catalog, I have to make things bright and new!
Playtesting!
Playtesting!
Playtesting, playtesting, playtesting, playtesting THIS!

3 Likes

Catalog submission sent. Can't even describe the feeling.

9 Likes

Under The Tree release date confirmed.

cute_fox_soon

3 Likes

My god man this was such a trip to go through and read. It looks absolutely stunning. Really looking forward to giving it a go! Big ups Tengu. Congrats for shipping the game and getting it on the Catalog (that's what I think your last post hinted at hehe).

Throwing congratulatory candy on you

1 Like

In all the confusion yesterday I forgot to announce this here...

Playdate Catalog: Under The Tree

Catalog Drop video here.

It was a long haul, but we made it!

5 Likes

YouTube review by Attack Slug here!

A milestone of sorts... Under The Tree went live on Catalog on Dec 12th 2023, and just hit 500 sales on Jan 20th, 2024:

2 Likes

We just hit another milestone... Under The Tree was released on Catalog (Playdate game Under The Tree) on 12 December 2023, four months later (22/4/2024) we've hit 1000 sales. Adventure on!

4 Likes