1.12 build of game has new bugs and worse performance on 1.13 firmware

The transparency is appreciated!

My question was more of a rhetorical one. I could have tested myself but of course I didn't.

1 Like

Yeah, the fact that the performance issue doesn't seem to affect the Season or Catalog games noticeably is, I think, part of what caused that regression to slip through our testing without being flagged. But you bring up a good point generally, I'm not sure why Season/Catalog games are relatively unscathed. That'll be a good point to consider while we continue investigating the problem.

1 Like

I tested on a beta firmware with my (C) game trying to let it run at 50 fps while music is playing etc (on the device). On 1.13.1, when moving in my worst case level i had about 45-46 fps on the new 1.13.2-b4558 beta i just installed i get about 46-48 fps so things have improved (by 1-2 fps) for my game / testings. But be aware that is for my C game that was not actually impacted by it all that much as it affected lua games the most. Are there any "public" lua games that were severly impacted by the previous changes that i can test with the new beta firmware? I tried searching for "Comet" on itch.io but could not find it immediatly so i'm guessing the game is still in development. Or did someone else already try out the new beta firmware or know of games had still had performance degradation on 1.13.1 ?

Down the oubliete shows steady 30 fps

2 Likes

I tried WWWO on 1.13.2 beta and you can see the improvements there as well. The game seems to run steady at 30 fps (well sometimes 29.5 but thats neglible).

This screen is just randomly playing, the dip in the fps (on the left) is when the stage reloaded when i "died" and is normal

This is screen, the left part was when i was speeding up, the middle going really fast in a straight line, you see it taxes the system more, on the right part was when i had died and the game was idling waiting for me to continue playing. The fps remains steady at ~30 fps

on discord someone tested down the oubliete on level 1 on fw 1.13.1 and they were getting 20 fps, while when i tested on level 1 on fw 1.13.2 beta i had a steady 30 fps with the beta firmware
So the fixes for lua games do seem to have their effect in the 1.13.2 beta and i have not noticed anything out of the ordaniry yet

3 Likes

You can also compare performance in recovery firmware 1.11.1 (press and hold the lock + menu + A + B buttons for a while, then follow the prompts)

2 Likes

somehow this just reboots the device with me. I'm guessing one needs a recovery firmware file for this to work in in boot disk mode (not data disk mode) and that during pressing of these keys (during reboot) it checks if such file exists or not and if so uses it, somehow my bootdisk drive seems rather empty

Sorry, you need to hold lock+menu+A+B and you'll see a message about recovery mode.

1 Like

cool thanks that worked.

So i looked at WWWO again on 1.11.1 and to me at least WWWO seems highly similar as the previous screenshot i had posted about 1.13.2 beta the only thing that shows a bit different is when having died + idling on the cpu usuage but in both firmwares the game seems stable at 30 fps

1.13.2 beta

1 Like

Here is one more comparision of my unreleased blockdude (C) game in a worst case level scenario. This means all level spots used with about 2400 blocks in the item list and the game looping through them to do its movement (most blocks except player are stationary though). Such worst case scenario level does not occur in the normal game, but since the game includes a level editor an end user could make it as well. Anyway in my situation with the game when moving around the player in the level you can see 1.11.1 is actually slower than 1.13.2 beta by a few fps, but again this is absolutely worst case scenario. You can see on the left fps was a bit lower on 1.11.1 (more white space before you see the yellow) and the game was hoovering around 45 fps when moving. On the right i played same level on 1.13.2 and did same movements and there i have 47 fps. The cpu usage drops on the right parts of both screenshots is when i stopped moving the player around in the worst case scenario level and then both show 50 fps (i target 50 fps in this build final build will target 30 fps). I can not switch to the 1.13.0 or 1.13.1 firmwares, which contained the slowness in lua games, so i can not compare to that but you can at least see the speed is similar or in some situations even better than 1.11.1