Additional colors someday?

(I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but it's the closest I could find, so - 'Please phrase your question as a Feature Request, Tengu')

I just ran across this article describing the Kaleido Plus color eInk technology ... is a Playdate Color console a someday possibility?

I mean, we have 'playdate.graphics.kColorWhite' and 'playdate.graphics.kColorBlack' - the 'playdate.graphics.setColor' API is already set up for more :wink:

1 Like

Sharp also makes a color version of the same display used in Playdate today.

1 Like

oh! do they?
Do you have a product reference because I would be interested.

LS027B7DH01A I think is a memory display. It’s listed so on their website.

LS013B7DH06 definitely is a memory display.

Both are the wrong size so I was incorrect to say exactly the same. But the tech is there.

The colour Sharp Memory LCD is only 8 colours:

• Black
  • Red
  • Green
  • Yellow
  • Blue
  • Magenta
  • Cyan
  • White

A somewhat CGA type of palette.

1 Like

A somewhat CGA type of palette.

That could be interesting to develop for.

is a Playdate Color console a someday possibility?

My guess is that the short answer is yes. Unless a company has completely pulled out of a market, it is probably constantly evaluating new business opportunities. At the same time, companies tend to try to avoid giving responses to queries like this that could be mistaken as overpromising. Someone from Panic can jump in to clarify their official position, but until and unless that happens I would assume that the answer is "possible, but unable to publicly talk about it yet". Furthermore, note that a lot depends on the how the yet to be released original Playdate goes.

1 Like

LS027B7DH01A is the memory display because it is the screen used by the playdate.

I didn't know about the LS013B7DH06 and it looks really interesting. It could be the screen used in the Pebble Time (which has these really cute animations)
It seems Sharp has multiple color screen but their size are all smaller than 400 x 240.

If we do get a colour playdate, you can bet it's at least 2 years away; they'll need to ship all their backorders before they can announce a new product :playdate_cry_laugh:

1 Like

It’s indeed the screen used by the Pebble!

2 Likes

We got a sample of the color memory LCD but the colors were pretty muted and it looked a bit dingy, maybe even cheap. Really no match for the crispness of the black and white display.

3 Likes

8 or 32 grey levels, I say yes ! Colors, no way :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I'd like that as well, if we couldn't get color... it would allow for shading (think 3D rendering, or even 2.5D like raycasting) without having to resort to loss of detail due to dithering.

2 Likes