Addled, a classic puzzle with some new twists

Thanks Dave, I'll get on that one right away.

Well done on getting to A-17 by the way !

This latest build is impressive! I played for a little while and didnā€™t run into any issues during gameplay. I will say the music and sfx are quite good, now that I can hear them play without any issues. I do see a very slight slowdown when I make a match when the particles appear, but itā€™s a minor nitpick and probably not something Iā€™d notice if I wasnā€™t already focusing on the gameā€™s performance. There are a couple places where the menu transitions arenā€™t perfectly smooth but I donā€™t think itā€™s anything Iā€™d be disappointed in if I paid for the game.

The only one Iā€™d maybe consider fixing before release is when you first press A after opening the game, the music skips a beat before/while the player selection menu opens. Itā€™s another really small nitpick, but itā€™s literally the playerā€™s first impression of the game.

I did find a couple crashes:

Thanks Dale, amazingly detailed bug reports (as per usual :slight_smile: ) I'd guess the transition issues are around the title and zone screens? I love the animated backgrounds but they're real resource hogs, I think the delays are when I load or destroy those multiple full screen graphics assets.

I definitely introduced some new random bug crashes with my latest range of performance improvements. But it's getting there!

A couple more bugs:

1. I let someone else try playing this on my playdate, and after they created a new player profile and entered their initials, they could still see all of the unlocked levels from my profile. Had to quit and restart the game and then switch back to their profile again (it had reverted back to mine) to get it to actually start fresh on their profile. (They enjoyed it though, and commented on the difficulty being well balanced, which I agree with)

2. Iā€™m not sure what triggers this, but sometimes the undo button doesnā€™t put things back exactly where they were and/or leaves tiles in an invalid state. Iā€™ve seen it leave tiles floating in midair without falling, and leave two of the same tile touching without disappearing. This could be used to cheat, or it could make some levels unsolvable.

Hi Dale,

thanks for the positive feedback, it's always appreciated :slight_smile:

I've got those bugs fixed, along with a couple of others I'd seen:-

Addled.pdx.zip (1.5 MB)

I'm tempted to release this version.

Wow, I just came here to say your pixel art is amazing! :flushed: :flushed:

Thanks Paul, so is yours! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I've gone for it and have published the game on itch.io:-

4 Likes

Hi, would anyone be able to test this on a real device? I've been told there's a crash that happens after completing a level but I've been unable to replicate it.

Addled.pdx.zip (1.5 MB)

Doesn't seem to crash after completing a level on my device.

1 Like

Hey could I get an invite for that please?

Actually could I get another invite to the Discord Server too plz? I didn't realise they timed out so quickly!

Fun game! I had downloaded the first version you posted in this forum, but then didn't get around to playing it until just now. Got the initials crash a few times, decided I couldn't post a bug report without purchasing it on itch, so did that, then noticed the itch build was newer, and was happy that seemed to clear up the crashes.

Unfortunately, I think you've got a bug somewhere with your collision and/or "adjacency detection" code. I definitely had one tile "match" on level 9 when it was not next to either of the other two. On a previous level, I had one of the playdate tiles stay on the screen after it was matched, and it even persisted on the level completed screen, but went away on the level select.

Also, just a minor request: I appreciate whenever links to builds have the version number in the filename, so I can tell if it's newer than one I already have.

Overall though, I'm really enjoying it, and it's great to find an itch release with so much polish already added. :smiley:

Hi Martin.

Thanks for the feedback! Couldn't replicate the random match problem on level 9, but as it's a teleport level is it possible that a block went through a teleport and matched up too quickly for you to notice?

I saw the persisting tile problem once before but it's so rare I have real trouble tracking it down. It's on my TODO list, I promise !

1 Like

It was right after the block went through the teleporter, but the other blocks were nowhere near it. (And both of them continued to exist, and I was actually able to complete the level after this happened by matching them!)

Ah dang, that is an issue. Thanks Martin, I'll look into it.

I tried to reproduce it again myself, and wasn't able to. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I just noticed something similar happen again... on level 15, I moved the top-left-most block one space to the right, and it matched with the block beneath it, as well as the block diagonally down-and-to-the-right of that one. So three blocks matched when only two should have. This made the level trivial to complete because I only had the two blocks remaining.

I again tried to reproduce the issue by playing the level again, and it didn't happen the second time.

Dang, I can't replicate this!

I had another slightly strange thing happen on level B-7, where I had just figured out the solution, and started implementing it, but when the first two tiles matched, it gave me the "I'm lonely you need to restart" screen, even though the tile's match was still visible on the game board. That's the only other issue I've seen, and I've played every level up to this one. After restarting, it let me complete the level without further issues.