I've been working on a new game recently which relies on crank docking / undocking mechanism as a part of game mechanics - basically maps it to drawing/holstering the gun.
Recently I've discovered that the docking action degraded substantially - that is even with the crank seemingly fully folded and docked its not always registered by the device (confirmed via Input Test in Settings). Seems like the spring mechanism is not able to fully push the knob into the slot and thus the hall sensor (I guess that's how it works inferring from ifixit teardown) is not detecting the metal/magnet inside the knob. Additional push does the trick, but it's not how it used to be just recently nor how it should be in the first place.
Has anyone encountered this sort of issue and can it be mitigated somehow ?
I'm posting it in SDK Bugs since I think that some kind of sensitivity adjustment of the hall sensor might be possible via low-level firmware, so maybe it's worth considering to either rise the sensitivity to better accommodate to some variation between devices and their condition or even make it adjustable by the end-user via settings ?
Just tried docking / undocking 10x on a fairly new PD (group 3) running 1.13.1 Input Test. Working as expected.
@jkozniewski Are you doing this with a case on? If so, does it improve with the case off?
I've just started having this problem as well. I'm not sure if it's related, but I was trying to clean a mark off of the crank shaft with a Clorox wipe when the issue started.
Since it just started, I'm wondering if it'll improve on its own with time…
Sorry for gravedigging this topic.
I was running into this problem as well, since my game relies on the dock/undock events for the main gameplay loop.
Sometimes it would recognize the crank as being undocked, while it was docked. Sometimes it would not register the dock event at all (even after repeatedly inserting and pushing on it).
Removing the case does improve this a lot! I have only tested for about 30min, but have not run into similar problems so far with the case off. I will keep an eye on it and report.
The case has a few magnets in the center of the bottom part, which seem to be interfering with the sensor detecting the docking. So sadly a hardware problem, which is hard to fix. But at least we have a workaround and I will probably put a note about it at the beginning of my game.
Thanks the suggestion.