As my Playdate charges here are my first millisecond’s impressions after opening the package:
- The packaging is great: Simple, no papers or other bits of litter.
- I love that the corners are rounded but the face and back are sharp-edged (no idea why this pleases me.)
- Love how thin the unit is. Wants to be in my pocket!
- The crank feels solid and smooth. Tucked away nicely until used.
- Charged enough to turn on the display… the Display looks way better than I thought. Razor-sharp black and gray, yay for one bit per pixel.
- Buttons have A and B labels, hard to see the white print on the yellow buttons.
- Simulated playing while cranking, feels a bit awkward to control the d-pad while cranking. Button presses while cranking seems like it will work better. I need to try it on a real game.
- Overall it feels and looks great!
Now that it has charged for a while, I’ll try to make it work with some of the examples.