How to make a timer before an event in pulp?

I have a area in my game and i want an enemy to spawn after 30 seconds, does anyone know how i could do this?

I think probably

on enter do
wait 30 then
call "eventName"
end
end

then in eventName somewhere you can add your enemy

2 Likes

Thank you very much, Its working now!

1 Like

I did try the script above and found that it doesn't work? Or perhaps just doesn't work anymore? After checking my script multiple times, I determined that there wasn't anything wrong with the example given one my end, but a simpler way to do this is as follows:

on enter do
	wait 15 then
		tell 18,6 to
			swap "enemy"
		end
	end
end

TELL is telling you what tile area the 'enemy' will appear in. It works every time and does not duplicate. So if you wait 15 seconds, and then another 15 seconds, it will still only spawn one enemy.

in order to spawn multiple, you'll need to do the following:

on enter do
	wait 15 then
		tell 18,6 to
			swap "enemy"
				wait 0.5 then
					tell 4,13 to
						swap "enemy2"
					end
				end
			end
		end
	end

and of course, modify the numbers, or sprite names accordingly.

1 Like

Just to check why it wasn't working, did you add the tell/swap code to a custom event handler as well, eg:

on enter do
  wait 30 then
    call "spawnEnemy"
  end
end

on spawnEnemy do
  tell 18,6 to
    swap "enemy"
  end
end

If you're spawning multiples though, you should be able to separate out the different wait sections, for example:

on enter do
	wait 15 then
		tell 18,6 to
			swap "enemy"
		end
	end

wait 15.5 then
		tell 4,13 to
			swap "enemy2"
		end
	end
end

The first wait command will do its thing in 15 seconds, but meanwhile the code will carry on, and set up the second wait command to do its thing in 15.5 seconds. The end result should be the same, but it might make it easier if you need to shuffle code around, or keep things readable.

1 Like