Hurdy Gurdy music app

HI,
Iv been working on a Hurdy Gurdy app for playdate
been working with Sam Wain to get some good sounding gurdy string sounds
heres a video of it in action.

I built it by having all the note loops loaded on init then set there volume to 0. from there i set the note value to the rate of change of the crank and if a button is pressed.

I based most of my understanding about the gurdy from this video

Key things,
-usualy 1 melody string active at a time.
-drone string, like the bagpipes, just drones in the bg
-trumpet string, a percusive elemetn that onyl activates if the crank moves quickly

Just gona leave this bit of code here too
checks if nothing is being pressed
playdate.getButtonState() == 0

You can toggle the drone and trumpet strings in the menu at the momeetn and i hope to add
-more scales
-trumpet threshold
-transpose (this is in code just need to link to menu)
-choice of skins, add a few different looks to the gurdy

but just realized u can only do 3 items in the menu :confused: mabie need to make a menu button to open the actual ingame menu then make that

then should probubly save all that and let u reset it too.

3 Likes

Neat! Sounds pretty authentic to me!

(What if reverting to G didn't happen on releasing the current button, but only on pressing the current button a second time? Like each button "locks" a note whether held down or not, then "unlocks" to G on a second press?)

Hmm interesting, could be worth a try but think it could be aquard to play. I was gona add a slight delat to jumping back to open g, hopefuly that will stopit jumping back or some kinda reset on crank stop.

The dealy idea would make songs like thunder struck not work but most other would. So could have that ad a toggle depending i. The song your trying to play.

1 Like

It's fun thinking about how to more with limited controls!

FWIW... one more and then I'll stop!

What if the 1st 4 notes were the d-pad... and then the next note was (B)... and then the second-to-last note was (B)+(A) together... and then the 7th note was just (A)? (Or the note requiring 2 buttons could be the last one... but (B)+(A) being in between its separatr components sounds convenient.)

Can't wait for this app!

1 Like