Lighthouse keeper game

Hey there! I thought I'd share my little project where you play as a lighthouse keeper that guides ships to port. It started as an entry for Playjam 3 (the theme was Just Out of Sight) but I didn't have time to finish in time.

So far I'm calling it Dark Tides Ahead and you play it with the screen sideways:
playdate-20230610-015705

I'm planning on keeping it small, it was kinda an excuse to make a few systems I'd been wanting to try out. And I don't have hardware I'm not too bothered by performance :stuck_out_tongue: but I've go a few ideas for optimization!

Some libraries I'm using:

10 Likes

Cool! At what point in your rendering process are you rotating for the vertical/portrait layout?

2 Likes

At first I rotated it in code, but I wanted preset "scales" with their own dithering so I wrote a script and added the rotation too. It ends up looking like this:

3 Likes

This looks fantastic!
I wonder how it would be to have a secondary navigation with the extra screen space. e.g. a map of the land with dots of ships / other POIs

2 Likes

Thank you :smile: I've been thinking of ways to show some version of a map, and right now I'm thinking something like the score display in the classic xbox game: Whacked!

And an update: I've got obstacles working but they're not fancy enough for a gif yet so :zipper_mouth_face:

Super! This is a great example of using GFXP.
I will wait for the continuation!

1 Like

Been sidetracked with a few other projects, but finally got some time to work on this a little. The ships now avoid obstacles when lit up!

playdate-20230702-012445

2 Likes

Neat! Portrait-orientation crank sounds fun for this!

1 Like

Thank god for blender. The dithering isn't quite right but meh for a quick test it came out nicely

ezgif.com-gif-maker

5 Likes

Worked on some launch animation stuff, will show that off after I get the menu done. For now I procrastinated by adding debug tools for the sim
ezgif-5-794f90e37b

Is playdate.debugDraw() called even when you're not in the sim? I'm using playdate.isSimulator to change what happens for debug, but now I'm curious if I even have to...

Is the game released yet? :slight_smile: it looks great! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s not yet, I had the optimization mostly done and then had a busy summer :sweat_smile: I should be getting my device this month though, so it’ll be way easier to get the gameplay feeling better!

1 Like

So... About this game... Any news?