Playdate opens to the settings menu and crashes E1 error

I got the Playdate and out of the box after charging it, it opens directly to the settings menu (which I know from the simulator isn't a good sign). When I go through the settings menu and try to connect to wifi (among other actions), the Playdate crashes. I've tried the paperclip reset, restarting from the systems menu, factory reseting, and I've tried to (A+B+LOCK+MENU) but it just restarts to the settings menu.

I can see the device current version is 2.0.0, the error message when it crashes starts with header/header.lua:44: attempt to index a nil value (field '?')
and ends with
settingsview.lua:327: in function settingsview.lua:326
the last line actually changes sometimes as well.

The error says E1

I've already sent in a support message but have no response yet. Any help would be appreciate. Is it possible to set the os from the computer through cable? I can see folders on my pc through the reboot to data disk, just not sure where to go from there.

Thank you for any help!

You don't see any prompts?

I do not. It crashes and says press A to restart, B to see crash log or whatever, but no where does it prompt me to A+B+Menu+Lock and when I try doing it myself from either there or the crash log it just restarts my playdate back to the settings.

Just checking in to see if you have any updates for me. Thank you!

1 Like

Sadly I can't help directly.

The best option is to contact support using the contact form at https://help.play.date

Ya I've already done that, they haven't responded

Sorry, we're very backed up at the moment. :frowning: We had a number of devices that left the factory without passing through the final update station, and this sounds like it might be one of them. Can you DM me your device serial number and we'll see if we can get things working?

I believe I sent you an email (?) If that doesn't work, please let me know how I can DM you. Thank you!

Hm. Haven't seen anything. :thinking: To send a DM you can click on my name at the top of this post and click the "Message" button in the popup that appears. Or respond to the DM I just sent you, should be in the list that appears when you click your icon in the top right corner of the window.