PlayDither- A web tool for 1-bit image dithering

Built a little tool for applying different dithering algorithms to images- hope it's useful for others!

PlayDither

32 Likes

Nice! Your UI is super clean.

Could do with some more dither types. I'll message you with all of mine.

1 Like

Updated with a bunch more dither types, image adjustment, and a channel mixer for the grayscale intermediate:

3 Likes

In my tool I added the ability to click and hold on the image to reveal the original at the same size as the dithered one. This makes it easy to fine tune settings for specific areas of the image.

Plus you can then fit more settings in the side panel.

wound up doing that as well!

5 Likes

Nice.

OK then! how about:

• full keyboard control, it seems to partially work using tab but it's not clear which slider is selected
  • notches on the sliders to make easy setting of common/dividing values
  • greyscale methods
  • threshold cut
  • hue rotate, easy and useful!
  • replace colours to get the two Playdate shades of grey rather than black and white

plus either

• saving and loading of settings

and/or

• multiple image support

to be able to dither a bunch of images the same way

greyscale methods
hue rotate, easy and useful!

Does the color mix slider work? it gives an equivalent effect for most things.

replace colours to get the two Playdate shades of grey rather than black and white

Hah, added that last night but hadn't uploaded yet, see simulate display in the Output settings.

The rest of these are good ideas and I'll pick at them.

It works, but I can't remember the values for the different types of greyscale conversions.

Thank you I used your software for some parts of my game:
Sunday Lawd REEL 1 by Game portal.... (itch.io)

Great tool ! Thanks Potch for that !!

I had been struggling with a few tools and this is awesome and has beautiful results - thanks for the great work here!

Thank you do much for this great tool. It’s been a great help. Id there a windows version of it or an offline one?

Not a one-to-one analogous, but image editors like Photoshop, GIMP, and others can do these functions too. I can speak for GIMP:

• Change image mode to indexed, select 1-bit palette, and pick a desired dithering algorithm.
  • Desaturate an image (there are multiple ways to do it) and apply Dither filter. It has another set of dithering algorithms than the previous step.
2 Likes

Thanks a lot. That’s very helpful.

Thank you for adding transparency support, it makes porting over tilemaps way easier!

Very, VERY helpful. Thanks.